booting from a headless system RRS feed

• Question

• When I reboot the server, I am prompted for the keystroke combination of ctl-alt-del and then for the administrators password.

This necessitates a keyboard being attached each time I reboot.  Is this normal?  or is there a way to disable this?  I want the  system to recover unattended.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 1:21 PM

Answers

• Tell us why you feel that you need to login to the server after it reboots?  Once the server reboots it is ready to work without needing to login.  Everything runs as a service so there is really no need to login to the home server.  It can sit there at the ctrl-alt-del prompt all it wants.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 1:33 PM
  • I suppose this is a case of getting caught up in the minutiae of a new system and forgetting the big picture.

I don't need to log on as an admin from a startup and everything works as advertised when I do not.  I can log on from a remote desktop and interact as needed. Therefore my initial question is moot.

I do have one problem:  I will start a new thread if I do not get a response here.  I have a laptop that I have tried to BU both wireless and wired to no avail.  It will get about 2/3 done and report that the server connection has been lost.  At this point, no machine (3 connected) on the net can log on.  I have to reboot the server to be able to connect.

I have tried several attempts with this laptop (Toshiba, XP Media Center Edition) and will keep trying to isolate all the variables to understand the circumstances.  I have another laptop (Dell, XP Pro) that had the same symptoms but  I was finally able to BU with a wired connection.  I have a desktop (XP Pro) also, that I went through several iterations before I had a good BU. Each time the error message was that the server connection had been lost and a reboot was necessary.  However, the reboot option from the Server Console is unavailable because the connection has been lost and the server required a front panel button to reboot.

All of these attempts have been the initial BU.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:21 AM

All replies

• Tell us why you feel that you need to login to the server after it reboots?  Once the server reboots it is ready to work without needing to login.  Everything runs as a service so there is really no need to login to the home server.  It can sit there at the ctrl-alt-del prompt all it wants.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Microsoft intends that WHS be used as a headless appliance. In the beta documentation, where they instruct testers in how to install, at the very end they tell you to shut down, disconnect your KVM, and restart to simulate the user experience. So there's no need to log in on the machine at that point.

If there is something that you need to do that requires access to the console, you can use Remote Desktop from any of your home PCs with RD client software installed. If none of your home PCs has RD client software, I believe you can download it from here. You should also submit a bug report or suggestion on Connect in that case, as Microsoft doesn't intend the normal operation of WHS require this sort of access for end users.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:10 PM
  • If you go to 'Server Settings' (the little gear icon) on the Windows Home Server Console from any of your home PCs then you will see that you have an option for Restarting your home server from your remote PC
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:27 PM
  • I suppose this is a case of getting caught up in the minutiae of a new system and forgetting the big picture.

I don't need to log on as an admin from a startup and everything works as advertised when I do not.  I can log on from a remote desktop and interact as needed. Therefore my initial question is moot.

I do have one problem:  I will start a new thread if I do not get a response here.  I have a laptop that I have tried to BU both wireless and wired to no avail.  It will get about 2/3 done and report that the server connection has been lost.  At this point, no machine (3 connected) on the net can log on.  I have to reboot the server to be able to connect.

I have tried several attempts with this laptop (Toshiba, XP Media Center Edition) and will keep trying to isolate all the variables to understand the circumstances.  I have another laptop (Dell, XP Pro) that had the same symptoms but  I was finally able to BU with a wired connection.  I have a desktop (XP Pro) also, that I went through several iterations before I had a good BU. Each time the error message was that the server connection had been lost and a reboot was necessary.  However, the reboot option from the Server Console is unavailable because the connection has been lost and the server required a front panel button to reboot.

All of these attempts have been the initial BU.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:21 AM
  • Sounds like you should probably run TALQ on both your laptop and your server, and send your logs up to MS and file a bug in Connect.  I've been looking through the local logs a bit myself, but haven't found anything to help me determine any of my issues, but it's fun to look at anyway. Logs are located at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Also, you can always check event viewer's system, application, and home server events and look for anything happening around that time.  Good luck figuring it out.  These can be pretty tricky sometimes. 
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:17 AM
  • I realize that we can get into the WHS with Remote Desktop. I've sucessfully used RD locally from my PC and laptop through the router IP to WHS.

Basically, what I want to know is this...  Is there any reason or harm done by leaving my KVM switch connected to the WHS?  I realize it's designed not to need it, but what if I just want to? Or the old PC I'm using to run WHS does not allow for this in the bios.  Is there really any issue with leaving the KVM connected?

(update: my machine did allow WHS to boot nicely headless without the kvm connected.)

Thanks,

The Judge

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:25 PM
  • I believe I read in the documentation that in those cases where you have a system that requires a keyboard, etc. to bootup, to leave it attached.  I have run WHS both ways without any problems. (So far.) 

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:49 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Microsoft intends that WHS be used as a headless appliance. In the beta documentation, where they instruct testers in how to install, at the very end they tell you to shut down, disconnect your KVM, and restart to simulate the user experience. So there's no need to log in on the machine at that point.

If there is something that you need to do that requires access to the console, you can use Remote Desktop from any of your home PCs with RD client software installed. If none of your home PCs has RD client software, I believe you can download it from here. You should also submit a bug report or suggestion on Connect in that case, as Microsoft doesn't intend the normal operation of WHS require this sort of access for end users.

Ken,

Can you expand please on the RD software link that you provided. I went to the link and it said that you can download it if you have XP2. What extra functionality does this give me over what is already installed? For the record I am using XP Home SP2.

Thx

Dawg.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 4:05 PM
  • the circumstances that started this thread did not allow the server to get to a stable state where the remote desktop would work.

I had to connect directly to diagnose what was going on.

rick
    Friday, March 16, 2007 4:58 PM
  • If you run the Home Server Connect CD this should allow you to access the server with RD. Also with you having XP SP2, you have the RD link in the Start, All Programs, Accessories option. The computer you will connect to is server, logging in as administrator the 1st time to allow setting up user accounts. Afterwards you can log in as the user instead of Administrator since it's suggested not to use the Administrator account.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 2:40 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. My older PC did allow for a boot without heyboard and mouse. I know that MS wanted a real world setup, but I was mostly wondering if not going "headless" would cause any harm. Seems it won't.

Thanks,

The Judge

Monday, March 19, 2007 4:10 AM
  • The 'headless' approach is a nice thing until the server's network connection is down. Then what do you do...plug into a telnet port??? 
    Monday, March 19, 2007 8:28 PM