Recent update causes menus, msconfig, services.msc to open slow RRS feed

• Question

• One of the recent definition updates to OneCare is causing my program menus in the Start menu to have 1-2 second delays before unfolding.  The same delays are being experienced when opening 'msconfig' and 'services.msc'.  I've never had such delays prior to this past week, and when I disable the virus checker in OneCare, the delays stop happening.  So, it's clearly a OneCare issue.  For what it's worth, the delays don't seem to happen when opening Outlook, IE, Word, or any other programs.  The delays only seem to occur with the program menus within the Start menu, and when opning the Windows admin boxes (like 'msconfig' and 'services.msc')

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this?

I'm using XP SP2, and have OneCare version 2.0.2500.14, and the latest definition version I have is 1.24.5508.0.  There are no other AV programs (or residuals) on the computer.

Thanks very much!
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Stephen,

For what it's worth, after only hearing back once from Microsoft regarding this issue (and their response made it obvious that they hadn't even bothered to read my message thoroughly), they never replied again.

However, thankfully, a later antivirus update to OneCare cleared the issue.  So, now, OneCare is no longer causing the slowness with opening msconfig, defrag, services.msc and menu unfolding.

I just wish OneCare would update itself so that it would no longer keep automatically turning on System Restore!
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Apparently, there are a number of things that OneCare does as part of monitoring the PC and changing settings. This one is new to me, since I never turn off System Restore. If you go to the Logging Tab in OneCare and create the Support Log, scroll down a bit and you'll find an entry that notes a daily check of "x" number of items and "0" changes. If it changes something, such as your System Restore setting, it will be noted.

In the near future, I expect there to be more information on this area of OneCare, based on lots of feedback on it.

-steve

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 12:37 AM

All replies

• Did this start with the upgrade to 2.0? See if this helps - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Thanks for writing back, Steven.  No, this issue didn't start with the upgrade to 2.0; it started sometime in the last few days after, I assume, a virus definition update of some sort.  The link you gave me doesn't help, as I don't have either of those services on my machine, which has XP SP2 Home Edition on it.  Perhaps those services are only on XP Pro? 

Any further help you can offer will be greatly appreciated...
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:16 PM
  • If the services aren't there, you wouldn't have the resource issue that they cause. They can exist on XP as well as Vista.

I wish I had more ideas, but all that I can offer is contact support or see if a reinstall resolves it. I think I'd advise support first - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Thanks, Steven.  I have just submitted a support request - it actually worked! (after I disabled automatic cookie handling in IE).  I'll report back what I learn.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Thanks, keep us posted, please.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

For what it's worth, after only hearing back once from Microsoft regarding this issue (and their response made it obvious that they hadn't even bothered to read my message thoroughly), they never replied again.

However, thankfully, a later antivirus update to OneCare cleared the issue.  So, now, OneCare is no longer causing the slowness with opening msconfig, defrag, services.msc and menu unfolding.

I just wish OneCare would update itself so that it would no longer keep automatically turning on System Restore!
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:35 PM
  • It turns System Restore on if you turn it off? If so, that would make another item we know that OneCare manipulates without our knowledge....

:-(

Thanks for the update and sorry that your support experience was terrible.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:12 PM
  • I've run in to the issue of where OneCare will turn System Restore back on automatically, after I have turned it off. I really don't like the idea of System Restore running all the time, and putting up with OneCare turning it back on.

I think it's time the programmers removed that capability, before people get good and ticked, and start looking for other internet security packages. Version 1.5/1.6 of Live OneCare never turned System Restore back on automatically, even when running on a WindowsXP machine.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Yes, Stephen, OneCare automatically turns on System Restore even after turning it off in "System Properties" and then disabling the System Restore service via services.msc!  It won't happen immediately...it usually takes a few days for OneCare to get around to secretly starting System Restore up again, but it does!

I sent in a bug report to Microsoft a couple months ago, but, as is often the case, I didn't get anywhere with them.  I hope someone out there is listening, because it would good if we could make our own decision about whether System Restore should be running or not.

Thanks...
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Apparently, there are a number of things that OneCare does as part of monitoring the PC and changing settings. This one is new to me, since I never turn off System Restore. If you go to the Logging Tab in OneCare and create the Support Log, scroll down a bit and you'll find an entry that notes a daily check of "x" number of items and "0" changes. If it changes something, such as your System Restore setting, it will be noted.

In the near future, I expect there to be more information on this area of OneCare, based on lots of feedback on it.

-steve

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 12:37 AM
  • Thanks very much, Stephen...we'll see what comes to be!
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 2:01 PM