DE will not use/balance data on additional drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I've been trying all week to get my server to use all of its drives, or even to just balance the data. I did a fresh WHS install, I have 3x 750gb drives, and 1 external 500gb drive for moving things around. I installed the server with 1x 750 gb drive. I added in the other 2x750gb drive. I then moved 650gb of data off of one of the drives to the system drive, before i added it into the storage pool. It took the transfer fine.

Now i added the empty disk into the storage pool. Ok thats happy. Now when i try to move the other 650gb of data from the third drive, to the pool it just says the disk is full. So i cleaned up a bit of stuff, dumped 500gb onto the 500gb drive, and added the third disk to the pool. Now i try to copy the files over to the pool and it says its full.

So i'm trying to get the system to either balance the data on the disks, or actually write to any of the other 2x750gb drives. not sure why it wont just write to the other disks automatically.... never had this problem before.

-tried adding another disk to the pool to see if that helps
    -tried removing/readding the disks to the pool.
    -restarted MS DE
    -Reinstalled DE [c:\whs\umde.exe]
    -tried to use an addon called "drive balancer" to no avail.
    -numerous reboots
    -tried copying smaller chunks of data

--also to note, i can copy the data directly to the drives through the redirects through c:\fs\*\DE but then they dont show up on the D drive.
    I also tried to run Disk balancer and it just stops @23% and the disk throughput stays at 0 =/
    This was working prior to my reinstall.

[running SP2]

i'm out of idea's. Hulp!

Thanks for reading.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 9:13 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    I've been trying all week to get my server to use all of its drives, or even to just balance the data. I did a fresh WHS install, I have 3x 750gb drives, and 1 external 500gb drive for moving things around. I installed the server with 1x 750 gb drive. I added in the other 2x750gb drive. I then moved 650gb of data off of one of the drives to the system drive, before i added it into the storage pool. It took the transfer fine.

What do you mean you moved the data "to the system drive"?  Please explain exactly what you did (how you moved the data, and the exact path you moved it to).

Now i added the empty disk into the storage pool. Ok thats happy. Now when i try to move the other 650gb of data from the third drive, to the pool it just says the disk is full. So i cleaned up a bit of stuff, dumped 500gb onto the 500gb drive, and added the third disk to the pool. Now i try to copy the files over to the pool and it says its full.

So i'm trying to get the system to either balance the data on the disks, or actually write to any of the other 2x750gb drives. not sure why it wont just write to the other disks automatically.... never had this problem before.

-tried adding another disk to the pool to see if that helps
    -tried removing/readding the disks to the pool.
    -restarted MS DE
    -Reinstalled DE [c:\whs\umde.exe]
    -tried to use an addon called "drive balancer" to no avail.
    -numerous reboots
    -tried copying smaller chunks of data

--also to note, i can copy the data directly to the drives through the redirects through c:\fs\*\DE but then they dont show up on the D drive.
    I also tried to run Disk balancer and it just stops @23% and the disk throughput stays at 0 =/
    This was working prior to my reinstall.

[running SP2]

i'm out of idea's. Hulp!

Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:32 AM
  • I moved data from a hard drive that was not in the storage pool, to the D drive.

I installed WHS. I had 1 hard drive in it during the install, and added 2 more afterwards.
    Drive 1 750gb - the system drive (drive C, and D)
    Drive 2 750gb - the drive was not added to the pool - it was filled with about 650gb of data. and after i transfered the data onto d:\shares I added to the storage pool
    Drive 3 750gb - same situation as drive 2 basically.

I took the data off of drive 2 and moved into D:\shares\
    I then added drive 2 to the storage pool, which should consist of drive 1 and 2 now. It sees all three disks as part of the pool, but it only puts data on one of the drives, the original drive.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:24 AM
  • I moved data from a hard drive that was not in the storage pool, to the D drive.

I installed WHS. I had 1 hard drive in it during the install, and added 2 more afterwards.
    Drive 1 750gb - the system drive (drive C, and D)
    Drive 2 750gb - the drive was not added to the pool - it was filled with about 650gb of data. and after i transfered the data onto d:\shares I added to the storage pool
    Drive 3 750gb - same situation as drive 2 basically.

I took the data off of drive 2 and moved into D:\shares\
    I then added drive 2 to the storage pool, which should consist of drive 1 and 2 now. It sees all three disks as part of the pool, but it only puts data on one of the drives, the original drive.

Adding data to D:\shares is unsupported and can cause the problem you're now seeing (as a matter of fact, accessing the server desktop is unsupported).  You should start over with another New Installation (making sure to backup your data somewhere first) and copy the data to the server the correct way (using the UNC path \\server\[sharename]).
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Hmm really? That doesn't seem right, i've been downloading new data to d:\shares\ftp for well over a year. I also get the same issue when i'm copying data from over the network, from my vista machine which goes to \\gserver\ftp.
    Is there any other suggestion other than a full reinstall?? if it was possible to just fully backup the data i would of but i don't have the storage to back up 2tb of data.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:13 PM