Is ICE mandatory for A/V Conferencing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have three internal communicators and I disabled ICE on each one of them by changing the registry. Now When I try to start conference from one of these clients, for INVITE sent by that client I am getting "488 Not acceptable" response with following error reason:

ms-diagnostics: 7014;source="ocs.com";reason="Error parsing SDP: Invalid ICE transport candidates";component="AvMcu"

But normal calls between any two clients works fine without negotiation of ICE candidates. So I believe it is A/V conferencing server that is not liking the INVITE.

So Is it mandatory to have ICE for A/V conferencing?

Your input is appreciated...

Thank You
    Raghavendra
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:50 PM

All replies

• Why do you want to disable ICE?

Looks like you are right

The A/V Conferencing Server also incorporates elements of the IETF drafts for Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) as a means to enable the exchange of media between two or more clients that are using Network Address Translators (NATs). ICE is an extension to Session Description Protocol (SDP) that enables media streams to traverse NATs by including in the SDP multiple IP address and port combinations for a particular transport protocol, known as candidate transport addresses that the client can use to communicate with other clients. In an Office Communications Server environment, a client uses Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) and Traversal Using Relay NAT (TURN) protocols to obtain its candidate transport addresses from the Office Communications Server A/V Conferencing Edge Server. During negotiation, clients on either end exchange SDPs and then test candidate addresses for peer-to-peer connectivity. After the connectivity checks, clients renegotiate by including only the candidate transport address that succeeded in the SDP for a SIP re-INVITE request and response.

Although the A/V Conferencing Server incorporates elements of ICE, the server is not compliant with the drafts. As a result, interoperability is not supported with third-party implementations of ICE, STUN, or TURN. For more information about IETF drafts for ICE, see http://ietfreport.isoc.org/all-ids/draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-18.txt.

More info here

Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007
    Conferencing Servers

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb894511.aspx

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Thanks for your reply..

I want to disable ICE for internal users as they are all in the same network and can reach each other. I don't want extra unnecessary ICE traffic going in the network for calls between internal users.

So I expect A/V conferencing server to be compliant with this kind of configuration where ICE is disabled on all communicators.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:12 PM