none
WHS conection software not installing on windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have the server all set up and is connected to my FIOS router/modem.  My computer is connected to a linksys wireless router that is connected to the FIOS box.  I can see the server under network and I can access the files on it, but I can't install the connection software.  when I try to install it it cannot find the server so I look for it manually and I can find it.  When it asks my to put in the password I click next the next window says " the operation cannot be completed at this time". 

I have not a clue whats wrong with it.  I tried restarting my computer and the server, resetting the modem/router, and resetted the network adapters.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

there are several possibilities, some of them are listed here:

- 3rd party security software on the client blocking access

- mismatch of date, time or time zone between client and server

- misconfiguration of Internet Information Services on server (due to some installed 3rd party software or unsupported updates), to name only a few.

If you check the event logs on the server during the time of the failing attempts, do you get any related warning etc?

I have a system which tends to issue DCOM security related warnings in this case, claiming the lack of Internet Services user account to activate a WHS related service.

After reconfiguring the security in this case, it works again for a while.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:14 AM
  • I remember the frustration. In addition to Olaf's hints also try to coyp the connector directory to the client and run it from there. In my case there was a certificate problem on the server. You will find endless threads on topic in this forum and WGS forum. Sorry about the small letters. Good luck.

Finn

Friday, May 6, 2011 7:07 AM