Suggestion.. don't make v2 a OEM only OS RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

For the enthusiasts using or planning on using WHS, it should not be a OEM OS.

I don't know how long until v2 will be available but do know a PC cannot be counted on, to live more than 2-3 years running 24/7.

If rebuilding the PC (& newer MB) & installing WHS again wont work w/ OEM OS's it seems like the value in the OS would be greater if it was not a OEM OS, ONLY.

Final comment: $180.00 is a steep  price for this OEM software.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:00 PM

All replies

• I don't really see having WHS available only as an OEM operating system as limiting enthusiasts in any significant way. Computers do fail, yes, but the components that fail are the mechanical ones, usually: fans, hard drives, etc. The MB, CPU, and memory are typically all good for many years. While it's true that you can't upgrade the MB or CPU in a computer with WHS installed, if you start with reasonably new components, you should be able to get many years of useful life out of your server. Remember, it won't become obsolete as quickly as that gaming rig under the desk. Smile

Price-wise, I'd like to see it less expensive too, but consider that it's built on Windows Server 2003. Have you priced WS2K3 with 10 CACLs recently? You're getting a relative bargain. Smile

That said, you should make a suggestion on Connect, if you feel strongly about this.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 10:01 PM
  • My feelings exactly, Ken. I see far more limitations by NOT having WHS available as an OEM installation.

I have several older PC's running that do very simple tasks that are 6-7 years old. And they run perfectly. Heck, my current WHS rig is 5-6 years old and works great! It has limitations with streaming video to my TV, which I really want, but as a plain storage and backup option....it was damn near free.  OEM afforded me that option and I like that.

Now, I'm currently running WHS OEM on my old 1.33 mhz AMD machine now (see signature). My OEM is not registered yet and I have 20 days to go, so I'm now considering the following due to not being able to upgrade the CPU/Mobo on an OEM intallation:

1- I'm thinking of moving WHS over to my current 2 yr old game and surfing rig. An AMD 3200+ Athalon 400 FSB, Abit AN7 Board and 2 gig of 400 mhz ram. That rig will run WHS for 5-7+ years no problem!  Recycling at its best!
    2-Then just build or buy anther personal rig with the latest technology. $500-$800.

So, I get a sweet server rig  that will last 5-7 years+.  I have to buy only one new rig and.....it's for me  to use and not stuff in the closet.... Perfect!   

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:33 AM
  • I thought $180.00 was a bit steep, but I did it and I'm not suffering from buyer's remorse.

As far as getting OEM software authorized after a hardware repair I've done it more than once with my copies of XP Pro and it was quick and painless.  They've bent their normal rules to let us get it without even a Y cable as a pretense, there is probably some wiggle room.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:11 AM
  • Jeshimon,

You mean you have done hardware upgrades on OEM installations (system builder OS) and got MS to reauthorize the key?  Sure, I've done that with my Retail disks of XP Pro a good 8+ times. Call them and they reauthorize/activate me with a new key.

But I've never done that on an OEM system builder OS disk. WHS is my first dabbling with that type of disk.  So, is it possible that they will reauth the install with a phone call on an OEM disk?
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:34 AM
  • Paul, if you've bought XP or Vista from Newegg, and it came in a brown manila envelope, you've bought OEM software and installed it.

And yes, you can often get Microsoft to re-authorize the key, if you can't automatically activate over the Internet. The re-activation supposedly depends on the amount of hardware you change out, though I don't have details on what exactly is being looked for. If you have to go the phone activation route, be polite to the customer service droid on the other end, because strictly speaking they don't have to re-activate the product in this situation, and if they don't like you, they may choose not to.
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:11 PM
  • My OEM versions come from MSDNAA, but I've had not issues with phone authorization, the key question seems to be 'Is this code being used on only one computer at this time'.  I don't know for sure if the VERY real panic in my voice helped, but I know it was there the first time. 

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:24 PM
  • Ken,

No, my XP Pro was a full retail deal in a MS box and in a retail CD case.  I did not get it from a newegg type of dealer. I think it was Bestbuy or something...Too long ago..LOL. Everytime I've upgraded my PC and done a reinstall, my online activation fails and it tells me to cal MS for a key reactivation. It's never been an issue. The last time the woman asked me three times if I was sure I have this OS installed on one PC, which I repeatedly assured her I did.

I was just wondering if the OEM WHS and other OEM installations are truely "install it once ....and if you have a hardware failure ...you're out of luck"  deal?  I know the license says that, but c'mon.... is that true?

I guess I could take my chances, but I'm really thinking of making the switch before I activate my OS.....

Thanks guys..
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:27 PM
  • I have had to re-activate my OEM version of WHS after transferring from the system I 'thought' I was going to run it on, to it's present hardware. It failed the online activation and when I telephoned here in the UK, there was absolutely no problem. Was just asked, "is this the only machine WHS is on?" and was given the number.

However, I have a feeling that initially on a Version One product, there could well be a little lee-way, which might not exist either later, or on a later Version.

Colin

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:07 PM
  • I can't see the OP's objection to the OEM version... if they don't like it, they don't have to buy it. Why shouldn't we get it if we want it?

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:14 PM
  • I revised the Subject..  added a 'only'.. for everyones clarification

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:59 PM
  • Thanks!

Agreed, though I think a lot of the new devices will probably be more environmentally friendly that the old kit we have lying about!

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:21 PM
  • As I have used computer for over 40 years and my first home computer was a TRS 80 with 3 bays for 8" floppies.  It ran 24/7 for over 4 years before I purchased an IBM box which lasted 3 years before upgrading.  Then to keep up with the Jones, I obtained a new computer every 2 years because they were out of date.  The key to keeping a computer running is keep it cool, keep it cool and keep it cool.  And of course, keep it free of dust and lint.  In Florida, a battery backup is also necessary.

I say I used computers because I do not build them.  But for this beta test, I took an OLD steel tower and moved an Asus MB from one of my newer computers, added two 6 year old IMB 120Gig HD's and two Seagate 325 Gig for data storage, used the old display AGP PCI card.  Used the memory that was on the MB and I was up an running.  FYI, the tower and drives weight 81.5 pounds.  I have room for a total of 8 HD's but the size of HD's now makes that many drives unnecessary.  I did not want to spend money on something that would not work for me, so all the new stuff can be cycled over to my newer computers (6) counting the road-warrior laptop.

I received my WHS OEM a few days ago but did not do the install until I had my new HD's.  My total cost for a SERVER including the OS was less than $500 USD.  My OS with shipping was $171.00.  My first computer cost $2,799.99 plus tax and the prices have come down monthly.

The only reason I have the WHS is for protection of my files.  AND the only failures I have had is 2 HD's and they were Vista 32 OS's.  I just restored to new hard drives and everything worked!

I did not intend to be long winded but I am 100% sold on this OS and if it cost $250 or more it would be bargain.

Thanks,

Walt

Thursday, November 1, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Reading the EULA (heavy going) it does seem to allow for OEM products to be reactivated, even after substantial hardware changes like a motherboard/processor combo, but only for hardware failure, and not just for upgrading.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:25 PM
  • I've done reactivation a million times with XP Pro, XP Home, XP MCE, Server 2k3, Vista Business, and Vista Home Premium, usually just to get a clean version or because of viruses or bugs or hardware failures. All that they ever seem concerned about is that you're not trying to use the same key to activate the OS on multiple computers. As long as you make it very clear that it is the only computer that this version is running on you should be fine.

All my systems run OEM OSes. The last time I bought I prebuilt computer, it came with Windows 95.
    Monday, March 10, 2008 10:29 PM