Windows home server Restore 64 bit Vista home Premium box RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the problem.  I have a windows home server.  I have multiple copies of the backups off all four of my computers that are attached to the WHS.

One of my computers is a 64 bit vista home premium.  Last week it got the Vista black screen of death (with mouse cursor and nothing else)  I attempted a restore with the restore cd that came with my windows home server software and that did not work.

I then downloaded the new restore cd that is available on the windows website.  I tried restore and after about three hours I got the message Unable to refresh wizard from your server….

Last night I removed the hard drive from the 64 bit computer and installed it in a remote hard drive case.  I attached it to a windows xp box (32bit) that was also attached to the windows home server.  The restore CD recognized it as the I drive.  I did a download of the 64 bit computers C drive to this drive.  The restore was successful.  I put the C Drive back into the 64 bit computer and the computer says it is unable to find the boot disk...

Help!  I really need to get this computer working!

Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:54 PM

All replies

• Here is the problem.  I have a windows home server.  I have multiple copies of the backups off all four of my computers that are attached to the WHS.

One of my computers is a 64 bit vista home premium.  Last week it got the Vista black screen of death (with mouse cursor and nothing else)  I attempted a restore with the restore cd that came with my windows home server software and that did not work.

I then downloaded the new restore cd that is available on the windows website.  I tried restore and after about three hours I got the message Unable to refresh wizard from your server….

Last night I removed the hard drive from the 64 bit computer and installed it in a remote hard drive case.  I attached it to a windows xp box (32bit) that was also attached to the windows home server.  The restore CD recognized it as the I drive.  I did a download of the 64 bit computers C drive to this drive.  The restore was successful.  I put the C Drive back into the 64 bit computer and the computer says it is unable to find the boot disk...

Help!  I really need to get this computer working!

Try downloading Vista 32-bit drivers for the NIC on that client and adding that driver manually.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 8:22 PM
  • ok, where and how.  I have a full and complete restored HD that I did with the XP computer.  Do you mean install drivers on that? so where and how do I install them?
    Monday, July 19, 2010 11:48 PM
  • ok, where and how.  I have a full and complete restored HD that I did with the XP computer.  Do you mean install drivers on that? so where and how do I install them?
    No.  Go to the website for the computer/motherboard manufacturer and download the appropriate driver (Vista 32-bit) from there.  Then copy the driver to a USB flash drive and use that driver during the restore process.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:45 AM
  • Alternatively check the FAQ  How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment and for details of the procedure the other posters mentioned How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore. (This shows you the direction, but depends from your own network adapter.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:25 PM