none
Very productive

Question

• I just posted a thread asking why my C# question thread had been moved to off topic.

Rather than answering the question, my new thread was anonymously deleted with no communication what so ever.  Very productive MS.

Let's try this again:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0b79f813-2d57-4619-9e14-acf97fe954b6/cast-invalid-exception-when-making-a-com-interop-call-v35v40-difference?forum=csharpgeneral

Why was this moved?

Friday, January 3, 2014 9:49 AM

Answers

• I am a mod in the OffTopic forum and may be able to move it but as mentioned by way of the URL it appears it should already be in C# forum. I've reported the anomaly to forums support so let's see what comes of that.

Ok, I moved it back for you Richard.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:48 AM

All replies

• Your previous post here was deleted because it had a link we cannot trust, or was deemed advertising.

Your thread link is now here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0b79f813-2d57-4619-9e14-acf97fe954b6/cast-invalid-exception-when-making-a-com-interop-call-v35v40-difference?forum=csharpgeneral

which redirects to the Off Topic forum. Maybe someone has a suggestion where this question should go, or what additional information is needed to answer it.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, January 3, 2014 1:21 PM
  • ok thanks.  It would have been helpful if the mod that deleted it had messaged me to let me know what the problem was.

I think my thread should go back where I originally posted it.  I can only assume that the move was instigated by Eason_H based on his assumption that I was looking for support on my third party library.  This is incorrect as noted in my follow up post.

Friday, January 3, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Seems the issue must be something that works in .NET 3.5 but not .NET 4.0. Should be a way to track it down, but perhaps not if the code isn't yours. I don't have experience with .NET 4.0 (or C#).

I assume you want the thread moved to the MSDN C# General forum. I can't move it. A moderator in the Off Topic forum must, and they may not see this thread. I suggest you request in the thread in the Off Topic forum. Otherwise, you will need to repost your question.

Friday, January 3, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Looking at the URL forum=csharpgeneral It may have been another one I moved but it didn't appear to realy move. Threads in OffTopic should have forum=Offtopic

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, January 3, 2014 3:50 PM
  • Yes, that url is strange. The thread was moved by someone else on December 16. I just checked the forum threads on that date and could not find the thread.

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:16 PM
  • I'm curios how you're checking that. Also how you knew a previous post was deleted.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:23 PM
  • I am a moderator in this forum, so I filtered on deleted threads and found the one the op referred to (similar to this one). I navigated to the url the op supplied and found the date it was moved and by whom. Then I had to find the C# General forum. I adjusted the "?page=" part of the forum url until I found Dec. 16, then looked for the article title (from the given url). I wanted to know if the move problem you reported could have happened before.

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Seems the issue must be something that works in .NET 3.5 but not .NET 4.0. Should be a way to track it down, but perhaps not if the code isn't yours. I don't have experience with .NET 4.0 (or C#).

I assume you want the thread moved to the MSDN C# General forum. I can't move it. A moderator in the Off Topic forum must, and they may not see this thread. I suggest you request in the thread in the Off Topic forum. Otherwise, you will need to repost your question.

I have the code, but it is not mine.  As I said in the original thread, I was running the library in VB6 to debug this and it was stepping into VB6 on all the proceeding calls, but not on the one that broke.

Do mods of these forums read every post?  If not then is there a way to flag a post for mod attention other than "Report as abuse" which is clearly not the case here?  I responded to Eason_H in my thread and he's ignored it for 2 weeks so I can only assume that he hasn't seen it.

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Ok, cool thanks a lot. I had never noticed the additional filters for forums I moderate. Big help! Also FYI I sent a note to fissues about the two apparent move issues.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Do mods of these forums read every post?  If not then is there a way to flag a post for mod attention other than "Report as abuse" which is clearly not the case here?  I responded to Eason_H in my thread and he's ignored it for 2 weeks so I can only assume that he hasn't seen it.

I am a mod in the OffTopic forum and may be able to move it but as mentioned by way of the URL it appears it should already be in C# forum. I've reported the anomaly to forums support so let's see what comes of that.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, January 3, 2014 5:52 PM
  • I think everyone's getting a little hung up on the URL.  I can access the thread through both of these links:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0b79f813-2d57-4619-9e14-acf97fe954b6/cast-invalid-exception-when-making-a-com-interop-call-v35v40-difference?forum=Offtopic

I have no idea how this forum software works but, given knowledge of other common forums, that the forum parameter is simply for the user's benefit.  The system should know which forum the thread is in based on the thread UUID.

Monday, January 6, 2014 11:08 AM
  • The UUID by itself does not indicate the forum. For example, the following also opens the thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0b79f813-2d57-4619-9e14-acf97fe954b6/cast-invalid-exception-when-making-a-com-interop-call-v35v40-difference?forum=ITCG

where "ITCG" is "The Scripting Guy's Forum" forum (which is a TechNet forum by the way). I don't believe the UUID changes when a thread is moved. I will double check the next time I move one. One complaint some users have had is that we cannot tell from the UUID where a thread is located. The whole concept of which forum the user is working in or which forum a thread resides in has become confused.

I just moved a thread and confirmed that the UUID does not change.

Monday, January 6, 2014 4:43 PM
  • I see this thread still in Off-topic forum, so it should be moved back to C# general and have some message to be bumped up again to the top.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:36 AM
  • I am a mod in the OffTopic forum and may be able to move it but as mentioned by way of the URL it appears it should already be in C# forum. I've reported the anomaly to forums support so let's see what comes of that.

Ok, I moved it back for you Richard.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:48 AM
  • Thanks Dave.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:13 AM
  • The UUID by itself does not indicate the forum. For example, the following also opens the thread:

where "ITCG" is "The Scripting Guy's Forum" forum (which is a TechNet forum by the way). I don't believe the UUID changes when a thread is moved. I will double check the next time I move one. One complaint some users have had is that we cannot tell from the UUID where a thread is located. The whole concept of which forum the user is working in or which forum a thread resides in has become confused.

I just moved a thread and confirmed that the UUID does not change.

What I meant was that the UUID will identify the thread and then somewhere in the database there will be a linkage between the thread id and the forum id. 
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:15 AM