Inactive Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Say I have a master template with many tasks (100 tasks) where the tasks dependencies, tasks duration and resources have been determined for each task.  Say, I have a project where only a subset of the tasks (30) in the master template are relevant to the project.

Which of the two following methods is better to do to select the 30 relevant tasks?

1. Inactivate the 70 tasks that are not used and keep active the ones that are relevant to the project (30) 

2. Set to zero the durations of the 70 cards not in use but maintain all 100 tasks active

I think Method 1 will be probably better.

In the case of Method 1, say an inactive card (B) is a successor to an active card (A) and a predcessor to another active card (C).  What is the implication between the  dependency of both card A and C?  Does the relationship that A is a predecessor to C still hold?

P

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:51 PM

All replies

• I am not sure what the objective of you question is?  Or what you are asking.  Can you restate the problem.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCC 2011
    www.WhartonComputer.com

Monday, February 13, 2012 11:20 PM
  • What is it you're trying to communicate? If its progress on relevant tasks only, then make the 70 inactive and make sure all your filters exclude inactive tasks.

For the dependency question you have to experiment and see the effect for yourself.

Investigate having 2 or 3 templates as inactivating 70% of your tasks suggests the template is too general.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:00 AM
  • Hi POY,

if the generic structure of your template doesn't apply to the project at hand, you should either consider deleting the not required tasks or starting from scratch with a blank plan. In general templates are used to facilitate the creation of a plan and to standardize the structure. If it gives you more headache to adapt a given template to your project the template obviously misses its intended purpose to facilitate work in the given case.

PS.: inactivating tasks which are predecessors breaks the dependencies of the successors, i.e. after deactivating task B 

(A -> B (toggle active/ inactive)-> C)

the task C will automatically be reshifted to project start or another direct predecessor.

Best regards

Phil

• Edited by PhilippH Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:54 AM