How to upgrade motherboard and CPU (and maybe system drive)? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a WHS with 2x1TB disks and 2xTB disks for 6TB total. One of the 1TB disks is the system drive. There is about 500GB free space. Folder replication is not enabled on most of the data (not enough space and its not needed).

I intend to upgrade to a new server keeping the same disks.

First off i would like to confirm that the following steps would work (ie correctly maintain the data in my shares) assuming i keep the same system drive:
    1. Move the discs to the new server
    2. Re-install WHS using the re-install option

I realize that i might be able to boot the current WHS installation on the new hardware, but i have alot of ____ installed which i would like to clear out.

Secondly, i have been considering replacing the system drive. I found instructions on this forum on how to do that (use the reinstall option as above to rebuild the tombstones from the secondary disks). However, these instructions explicitly says that folder replication must be enabled to avoid losing shares data on the system disk. This is not an option for me since i do not have sufficient space for enabling folder duplication. Is there a simple solution to this? (if not i guess i will keep the same system disk).
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• The basic steps are as you described. Understand that since you've activated on one platform, you're likely to have some issues when you reinstall and active on the new platform. Work through phone activation; Microsoft has been very understanding about reinstallation onto different hardware.

Regarding replacement of the system drive: Can you buy a 2 TB drive and add it to your server? They're not very expensive. Failing that, don't try to replace the system drive through cloning, as it's unsupported and likely to result in problems after you're done.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:44 PM
  • If a server reinstall would not work for you, the FAQ How to recover data after server failure describes another method.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:03 PM
  • The basic steps are as you described. Understand that since you've activated on one platform, you're likely to have some issues when you reinstall and active on the new platform. Work through phone activation; Microsoft has been very understanding about reinstallation onto different hardware.

Regarding replacement of the system drive: Can you buy a 2 TB drive and add it to your server? They're not very expensive. Failing that, don't try to replace the system drive through cloning, as it's unsupported and likely to result in problems after you're done.

I understand that there might be some activation hassle, but thats probably the least of my problems :)

As to replacing the system drive, i assume you are suggesting adding another 2TB drive in order to increase the capacity sufficiently to enable full duplication?  I had hoped to avoid that as im waiting for 3TB drives to appear (which according to some sources should be in 2010).

I might drop the idea of replacing the system drive though. I had originally planned to replace it with a small low-power HDD like an SSD or a laptop drive so that all the more power hungry drives could spin down when idle. However i have repeatedly seen suggestions that the system drive should be large (even with the newer Power packs where the landing zone isnt on the system drive) so maybe thats a bad idea.  
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:41 PM
  • If a server reinstall would not work for you, the FAQ How to recover data after server failure describes another method.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thank you for the hint.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:41 PM
    As to replacing the system drive, i assume you are suggesting adding another 2TB drive in order to increase the capacity sufficiently to enable full duplication?  I had hoped to avoid that as im waiting for 3TB drives to appear (which according to some sources should be in 2010).
    Don't wait for 3 TB drives, as Windows Home Server won't make full use of them (it doesn't use GPT disks, which are required for >2 TB disks).
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:45 PM