Windows prompts XP activation after ~3 years RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I purchased an ASUS A6000 Notebook about three years ago. It was purchased from ASUSTek Computer Inc. in Taiwan. The XP registered to the computer has a Proof of License/Certificate of Authenticity sticker at the back. It contains all of the pertinent informations: manufacturer name (ASUS), the edition of the XP (Home Edition), and the product key.

I have been using the laptop steadily for the past 3 years. Never failed a Genuine Advantage Validation because the XP installed to the computer is legit. Out of the blue today, Dec 31/2008, I start the computer up, and saw the Windows Validation screen. I tried to validate my XP through internet access, but no connections was detected. Next, I called the service number for Taiwan region, and was prompted to enter, set by set, the Installation ID. The automated system informs me that this Installion ID is not valid, and prompted me to enter my Product Key (located at the bottom of the laptop), to generate a new set of Installation ID. That also failed, and the activation screen indicates that my Product Key is invalid. I then spoke to a representative who told me that there is nothing they could do to help me on their end. They told me to contact the manufacturer (ASUS) about the problem. That also failed, since everytime I press 1 for transfers to the laptop department, they play the same message again, and asks me to specify my product type, which led me to press 1 again, and the loop begins.

My only guess (probably a poor one) is that some update recently released caused this bug/problem. I highly doubt that ASUS sold me a computer with a fake key that worked 3 years then decided to quit. I will continue to see if ASUS can do anything on their part. Meanwhile, I hope the experts here in this community can shine some light on this problem.

This is my first time posting a question, so I may have left out some important information. Please let me know if you need anything to help me isolate the problem. Thanks in advance for your help!

David

ps/ I wasn't able to log into Windows, so I couldn't run the diagnostic tool.
    ps2/ I tried to boot windows in Safe Mode, but I was not allowed to enter Windows through that way either.
    ps3/ I know I can simply reformat the computer, but a lot of important documents are on the hard drive, so reformatting would be a last resort for me.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:48 AM

Answers

• Dear D.Wu,

I have reviewed the information given to me in this thread which have posted and spoke in regards to with Stephen. If at this point you are unable to log in and do anything on a desktop, the only further activation assistance I can offer is to give you the phone number for telephone activation. Which would be limited at this juncture too.

Please reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851
    (See where it says "International Customers."

Outside of this, a full system reinstall is the last alternative. There are ways you can try to retrieve your data off your hard drive, however that is outside of support boundaries for this forum. You may continue to try and reach your computer's manufacturer for further support.

Thank you for contacting the WGA program forum. We apologize that we could not be of more assistance to you.

Rick

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:29 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:29 PM

All replies

• D. Wu,

Please run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:45 PM
  • You will need to run the WGA Diagnostics Tool:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:17 PM
  • As I said in my first post, I cannot run the diagnostic tool because I cannot log into Windows, even in Safe Mode.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Dear D.Wu,

I have reviewed the information given to me in this thread which have posted and spoke in regards to with Stephen. If at this point you are unable to log in and do anything on a desktop, the only further activation assistance I can offer is to give you the phone number for telephone activation. Which would be limited at this juncture too.

Please reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851
    (See where it says "International Customers."

Outside of this, a full system reinstall is the last alternative. There are ways you can try to retrieve your data off your hard drive, however that is outside of support boundaries for this forum. You may continue to try and reach your computer's manufacturer for further support.

Thank you for contacting the WGA program forum. We apologize that we could not be of more assistance to you.

Rick

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:29 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:29 PM