Unable to reach microsoft sites RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to download the new beta media player, which asks to validate my software.  I keep on getting a 'page cannot be displayed' error.  After running some validation tools, I get an error 0x80080296.  I am unable to reach sites such as go.microsoft.com, download.microsoft.com and a few others.  When I downloaded the defender back in march, I validated my software with no problem.

I've done all the internet option clearing described in one of the forums, re-registered a bunch of .dll files, net start cryptsvc, sfc /scannow, disabled norton, and everything else that was suggested.

I have Comcast as a service provider.  I heard of similar problems, and the fix was to take my computer to a friend who has DSL, with good results.  I haven't taken that step yet.

Help please!!

Friday, October 13, 2006 3:58 AM

Answers

• I forgot to mention this test regarding ActiveX\

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results

Passed
    Active scripting allowed
    Passed
    Display images enabled
    Passed
    Computer time and date correct
    Passed
    ActiveX enabled
    Failed
    Microsoft ActiveX controls loading
    Your computer is not properly configured to run

Friday, October 13, 2006 4:16 AM
  • How to troubleshoot situations where you cannot complete MSN sign-up or connect to SSL secured (128-Bit) Web sites by using Internet Explorer in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/813444/

Friday, October 13, 2006 2:13 PM
  • Hey Carey... Thanks for replying.  I have been to the KB813444 previously and tried everything on the list and still I have the same issue.  Internet works great except those sites listed above.
    Friday, October 13, 2006 5:47 PM
  • Bill, I would check with Comcast to update your ports and proxy and to ensure they have the correct setup for your home use. It sounds like they may be blocking (or having issues with) some Microsoft websites?

-phil

Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:00 AM
  • Thanks Phil, I will do that on Monday and will report my findings here.  -Bill
    Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:54 PM
  • After hours of troubleshooting the problem turned out to be a bad gateway.  I swapped it out, and everything works perfectly.  Thanks all for the help!!

Bill Rohn
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:37 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Can you give a little more explanation of what you did to fix the bad Gateway. A number of us on another thread are having the same exact issue.

Thanks

Bret

Sunday, October 22, 2006 3:02 PM
  • Hey Bret.  I just swapped out my Comcast wireless router with a new one. Apparently the old router was preventing me from accessing certain Microsoft sites (for software validation and downloads) and who knows how many other sites. 

Bill
    Sunday, October 22, 2006 11:31 PM

All replies

• I forgot to mention this test regarding ActiveX\

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results

Passed
    Active scripting allowed
    Passed
    Display images enabled
    Passed
    Computer time and date correct
    Passed
    ActiveX enabled
    Failed
    Microsoft ActiveX controls loading
    Your computer is not properly configured to run

Friday, October 13, 2006 4:16 AM
  • How to troubleshoot situations where you cannot complete MSN sign-up or connect to SSL secured (128-Bit) Web sites by using Internet Explorer in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/813444/

Friday, October 13, 2006 2:13 PM
  • Hey Carey... Thanks for replying.  I have been to the KB813444 previously and tried everything on the list and still I have the same issue.  Internet works great except those sites listed above.
    Friday, October 13, 2006 5:47 PM
  • Bill, I would check with Comcast to update your ports and proxy and to ensure they have the correct setup for your home use. It sounds like they may be blocking (or having issues with) some Microsoft websites?

-phil

Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:00 AM
  • Thanks Phil, I will do that on Monday and will report my findings here.  -Bill
    Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:54 PM
  • After hours of troubleshooting the problem turned out to be a bad gateway.  I swapped it out, and everything works perfectly.  Thanks all for the help!!

Bill Rohn
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:37 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Can you give a little more explanation of what you did to fix the bad Gateway. A number of us on another thread are having the same exact issue.

Thanks

Bret

Sunday, October 22, 2006 3:02 PM
  • Hey Bret.  I just swapped out my Comcast wireless router with a new one. Apparently the old router was preventing me from accessing certain Microsoft sites (for software validation and downloads) and who knows how many other sites. 

Bill
    Sunday, October 22, 2006 11:31 PM
  •  BillRohn wrote:

I am trying to download the new beta media player, which asks to validate my software.  I keep on getting a 'page cannot be displayed' error.  After running some validation tools, I get an error 0x80080296.  I am unable to reach sites such as go.microsoft.com, download.microsoft.com and a few others.  When I downloaded the defender back in march, I validated my software with no problem.

I've done all the internet option clearing described in one of the forums, re-registered a bunch of .dll files, net start cryptsvc, sfc /scannow, disabled norton, and everything else that was suggested.

I have Comcast as a service provider.  I heard of similar problems, and the fix was to take my computer to a friend who has DSL, with good results.  I haven't taken that step yet.

Help please!!

Saturday, June 30, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Here is the fix I found for this issue... I am pasting part of a letter I wrote to Microsoft below. 

(This is for a broadband – LAN connection using Vista)

Basically the customer has to find out what the DNS entries are for his router/modem/gateway.  Comcast is my provider, and there is probably an easier way to do this, but what I did was go to the Comcast’s Network Configuration Utility on the web, by typing in 192.168.0.1 (Comcast customers only,  if your ISP is different you may need to contact them) and then entering the Username and Password which  is - Username: Comcast / Password: 1234   - this logs the user into the web app where they can now do the following. 

1.       Find and select “Network Settings”

2.       Once on the Network Settings page, locate the DNS entries which is usually two lines that look something like this 68.89.56.9, copy both sets of numbers into any text editor, for later reference.

3.       Close that window, click on Start, right click on “Network” choose properties, then select “Manage Network Connections” from the left hand list.

4.       Next right click on the “Local Area Connection” and choose Properties.

5.       In the Network properties window that appears highlight “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP V4)” and select the Properties button.

6.       Under the General tab toward the bottom select “Use the following DNS server addresses” and enter the DNS numbers that were previously copied to notepad (or whatever text editor).

7.       Choose “Ok” , close out of all windows and reboot.

8.       Next have the customer try downloading from Microsoft or run the validation process.

So that’s it, I know this won’t fix those customers issues that have odd security settings under their Internet Options, or third party software installed, connection issues etc…, but it might help some people who's situation is similar to mine.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:41 PM