Error 0x80070079: The semaphore timout period has expired. RRS feed

Answers

• semantixuk said:

I haven't found an answer to this problem anywhere, yet it seems to be quite common.

I'm using HP MediaSmart Server to do automatic backups. Everything was working ok until one day I got the following error:

An unexpected exception ocurred on the computer. COMException. The semaphore timeout period has expired (Exception from HRESULT: 0X80070079) at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRIntern at (Int32errorcode IntRtrerrorInfo).

I checked the the Crashdump and it referred to Pinnacle11 (video editing application), and cooincidentally, the problem only started after I had been editing a couple of video files.

The failing computer is on a wired link to the server.

Has anyone yet found a fix to this problem?

Steve

Hi Steve

Were you editing files directly from the server?  

This message usually indicates that a hard disk controller driver is waiting for an overlapped read/write operation to complete. It’s due to problems with a faulty hard disk controller driver or possible hard disk drive hardware problems.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Hey I had a smiliar issue.

I also found that i get the same error when installing sp1 for Vista. It couldnt even install Windows installer 4.5

So I disabled Norton from starting up(services and startup items) , and I could then get windows installer installed, sp1, and no more backup errors !!

Note : u may want to try running subinacl as well
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:32 AM

All replies

• I haven't found an answer to this problem anywhere, yet it seems to be quite common.

I'm using HP MediaSmart Server to do automatic backups. Everything was working ok until one day I got the following error:

An unexpected exception ocurred on the computer. COMException. The semaphore timeout period has expired (Exception from HRESULT: 0X80070079) at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRIntern at (Int32errorcode IntRtrerrorInfo).

I checked the the Crashdump and it referred to Pinnacle11 (video editing application), and cooincidentally, the problem only started after I had been editing a couple of video files.

Steve
    • Proposed as answer by SamuraiX_X Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:30 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2008 9:18 AM
  • Yeah, I'm having the exact same problem.  I have the HP server as well.  I have two Vista boxes and two XP boxes currently on my network.  The XP machines are fine.  However, while one Vista machine (the laptop) is fine, the second (a workstation) stopped backing up about 45 days ago with the same exact error you're getting.  Curiously, no one seems to know what to do about. 

In any case, while I can't help you, I'm feeling your pain.

Regards
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

On the Client computer that has the problem, have you tried running chkdsk /r on it's drive(s)?

The 0X80070079 portion could indicate that there is a drive error.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:59 PM
  • semantixuk said:

I haven't found an answer to this problem anywhere, yet it seems to be quite common.

Steve

Hi Steve

Were you editing files directly from the server?  

This message usually indicates that a hard disk controller driver is waiting for an overlapped read/write operation to complete. It’s due to problems with a faulty hard disk controller driver or possible hard disk drive hardware problems.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Hey I had a smiliar issue.

I also found that i get the same error when installing sp1 for Vista. It couldnt even install Windows installer 4.5

So I disabled Norton from starting up(services and startup items) , and I could then get windows installer installed, sp1, and no more backup errors !!

Note : u may want to try running subinacl as well
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:32 AM
  • I obtained this error message when copying files from a windows 7 laptop.  Toshiba Portege R705-P35 with win 7 from a Windows XP 2002 SP3 system.  If I try to push from xp to win 7 xp gets a couple of files through and then states that the network drive is not available.  I've tried it with the windows 7 laptop on wireless n, and gigabit eithernet. 

KMS
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to copy a file(VHD) of 25GB from external harddrive to my local computer but this copy gets failed with following error.

Error 0x80070079: The semaphore timout period has expired.

I disabled firewall,Antivirus but still same problem persists.Any comments from any one please...?

Many thanks,

Ameen.

Mohammad Ameenuddin
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:39 PM