none
Windows XP Pro not responding after WGA online install RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently just went Genuine. After my online WGA conversion, everything seemed to be ok. I turned off my computer for the night. In the morning when i turned on my computer my windows xp is not responding, it keeps restarting over and over again (i never get to the blue screen). I have tried to start "safe mode" and "last known good configuration" and nothing seems to work. Before I went Genuine my computer was running perfectly fine.  

Please help need computer to work, I'm lost without it.

Monday, February 26, 2007 3:46 PM

Answers

• Grumpybear76,

Difficulty in copying files during setup can sometimes be blamed on a badly copied or dirty CD, or very rarely a bad original CD, but most of the time it's due to hardware problems on the computer.

While it's off topic to diagnose hardware problems on this forum, may I suggest two things:

1.  Check your RAM with MS's RAM tester here:  http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

2.  Then download your hard disk drive manufacturer's disk diagnostic utility at the support page of the manufacturer's web site, and run the NON-DESTRUCTIVE tests if there is data on the disk that has not yet been backed up.

Good Luck!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:32 PM

All replies

• Grumpybear76,

Are you able to start the computer using the genuine XP CDROM as a bootable startup disc?

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:00 AM
  • Yes after i posted the thread i received by ups my genuine xp cd, i had to configure manually to start up using cd rom. but what a mess i have made. i went ahead and installed using genuine xp cd and followed all directions, somehow i wasn't able to perform clean install. it keeps giving me errors that certain files like "ole32.dll" and "netsetup.exe" was not copied correctly?
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:26 AM
  • Grumpybear76,

Difficulty in copying files during setup can sometimes be blamed on a badly copied or dirty CD, or very rarely a bad original CD, but most of the time it's due to hardware problems on the computer.

While it's off topic to diagnose hardware problems on this forum, may I suggest two things:

1.  Check your RAM with MS's RAM tester here:  http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

2.  Then download your hard disk drive manufacturer's disk diagnostic utility at the support page of the manufacturer's web site, and run the NON-DESTRUCTIVE tests if there is data on the disk that has not yet been backed up.

Good Luck!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:32 PM