none
Money Plus shuts down RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Money Deluxe Sunset version.  It worked fine with Win 8.1 64bits. With Windows 10 64 bits, it did not work and I applied the Registry edit.  Money started working.  Last time it worked was on 19 Aug.  Now the app starts but soon afterwards shuts down saying Microsoft Money has stopped working.  Restoring Registry hack or replacing mnyob99.dll with patched one does not change anything.  In all situations, the program starts and shuts down very quickly.  It does create a new My Money.lrd file in the file saving location every time it tries to start.  I am thinking of going back to Win 8.1
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 11:03 AM

All replies

• Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Money Plus\ or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles
    with 64-bit Windows) to your Documents folder.  Open Money
    by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.  Migrate
    to the Portfolio.  Does it display?  If not, the problem is
    probably with your installation.

If Sample.mny works correctly, your installation is probably
    OK. While in Sample.mny, go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Open the problem file a time two.  Does that file open now?  If so,
    go to Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page".

If Sample.mny does not open successfully, then there would be a problem
    with your Money installation or your Windows settings.

Make an extra copy of your backups onto other
    media in case you want to restore one that pre-dates the problem.
    You can switch back to your file by clicking File, and selecting
    your regular file from the list at the bottom.

You can try a File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.  That is
    simple, but it probably will not solve this.  Then try I would try
    making a repaired version of your file with
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

If it still does not work, try restoring a backup that pre-dates
    the problem.

Sunday, August 23, 2015 3:42 PM
  • I had the nightmare of Sunset first not being able to open, then I changed the registry (someone has that listed in this blog if you've done that then read on) and it worked until I tried to download my bank statement, then everything I did caused it to stop responding. I lucked up and found a Microsoft CD of Microsoft Money 2004 Standard. So first I removed my password from my Sunset (nightmare if you don't write down the backup TIME AND DATE, to choose from later), backed it up and then removed the program. My computer kept everything.

I redownloaded the Microsoft Money 2004 Standard, created a quick file (I went through the whole tutorial because I needed this to work). Once done, I Restored the backup (this is why I wrote down the time and date cause I'd removed the password from this backup because for some reason, it did not recognized my password on my other backups, I spent 30 minutes fighting this and it wasn't worth it).

I be darned..IT WORKED!! It opened up my last work backed up file and ALL THE INFO and here is the best news, I WAS ABLE TO DOWNLOAD MY BANK STATEMENT, open it, use it, update it, run a reconciliation and NO Microsoft Money has stopped working error box, yeah!!

I miss Sunset, but I will live without it until maybe Microsoft offers a patch or fix for Sunset to work in Windows 10. I hope this helps everybody cause I hate Quicken, too expensive and not user friendly and have not tried any other product cause Money does what I need and I don't care there is no help available but us to help each other.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:37 PM