Unable to remote access relocated files in WHS... RRS feed

• Question

• WHS with PP3 installed.
    Workstation is a Windows 7 machine.
    Files were all saved to a directory on WHS via Windows Connector's "Shared Folders" icon.
    Created a new remote user with only shared files access.  System automatically created the primary directory for this user.
    From my workstation, I moved the files from the original location to the new user's subdirectory.

Old ->  \\Users\apg\video\test.avi
    New -> \\Users\FrontRunner\test.avi

Access from shared folders is fine (local LAN, etc.).
    Access from remote by some users is fine.
    Access from remote by owner of the directory (FrontRunner) is fine for files added using the remote access file transfer.
    Access from remote by owner of the directory is denied for files moved from one shared folders directory to another.

If this were on any other platform I would think it was a  permissions problem.  Unfortunately all the permissions that I can see using stock WHS show no differences.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance I can get.  This is getting to be an important issue.  Many files are waiting to be put into places where they can be accessed by remote family members. 

Message in Error window:

\\APG1\Users\FrontRunner\Trials2004\Women's Trials.avi:
    Access to the path '\\APG1\Users\FrontRunner\Women's Trials.avi is denied.

Same user from a local machine has no problems.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:32 AM

Answers

Files were all saved to a directory on WHS via Windows Connector's "Shared Folders" icon.
    Created a new remote user with only shared files access.  System automatically created the primary directory for this user.
    From my workstation, I moved the files from the original location to the new user's subdirectory.

Access from remote by owner of the directory (FrontRunner) is fine for files added using the remote access file transfer.
    Access from remote by owner of the directory is denied for files moved from one shared folders directory to another.

If this were on any other platform I would think it was a  permissions problem.  Unfortunately all the permissions that I can see using stock WHS show no differences.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance I can get.  This is getting to be an important issue.  Many files are waiting to be put into places where they can be accessed by remote family members. 

Message in Error window:

First, to clarify:  when you moved files from one share to another, you did it from a client using the UNC path (\\server\[sharename]), right?  In other words, you didn't logon to the server desktop to move files from one share to another?

Also, from within your LAN, can you try right-clicking on a file that you can't access remotely, look at the Security settings (Properties > Security tab), and post the results here?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:14 PM

All replies

• In addition - Moving the files into the directories using Remote Access upload is highly impractical.  This would take days where the copy method works in minutes.

ALG
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:34 AM

Any ideas?

Message in Error window:

First, to clarify:  when you moved files from one share to another, you did it from a client using the UNC path (\\server\[sharename]), right?  In other words, you didn't logon to the server desktop to move files from one share to another?

Also, from within your LAN, can you try right-clicking on a file that you can't access remotely, look at the Security settings (Properties > Security tab), and post the results here?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:14 PM