WHS reports missing system disk but boots and runs and it is healthy in disk management RRS feed

• Question

• I have fully up to date WHS with four hard drives. The computer boots fine but reports a critical condition with the system disk and all shared folders shown to be missing. Server storage page in the WHS console shows the system drive to be missing but the same drive to be a non storage hard drive. If I go to computer management > storage > disk management, the drive with both C and D partitions is shown to be healthy. More than a little contradictory! My guess is that there is some corruption within the WHS file system software, rather than the actual drive. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might recover it without a complete reinstall?

Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:34 PM

All replies

• I expect you will end-up doing a server reinstall, however there may be a few things worth trying:

Can you please logon to your homeserver desktop (remote desktop), then

1. Open windows explorer window, check if there are any files in the folder D:\folders\{378AE094-F4CA-4D9B-BDA5-649D6F738276} prior to the date the problem occurred? If yes please copy this file to a safe location, then post overhere.

2 a. On the server desktop do Start, Run, type regedit and Hit Enter. 
       b. Browse to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks.
       c. Now for each of the subkeys (representing your physical disks) check if one of them has the Key "Friendly Name" with value "System Disk"
       d. For this disk check in the SubKey Attributes if there's a RegDWORD key named "QRole". The value for this key should be 1 

Friday, September 11, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Hi, thanks for getting back to me. the WHS.Reg file I'm not sure that the WHS.Reg file pre-dates the problem as there were indications of the problem around this date, the first being an instruction to run chkdsk because of file corruptions on the disks. I ran chkdsk and the problem reached its current condition.

I checked the registry value you mentioned and it is all as you described so I’m assuming that is not a source of problems.

Once again, thanks for your help. As it’s week end and I have some time I will go ahead with the re-install anyway.

Cheers,

Friday, September 11, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Hi, thanks for getting back to me. the WHS.Reg file I'm not sure that the WHS.Reg file pre-dates the problem as there were indications of the problem around this date, the first being an instruction to run chkdsk because of file corruptions on the disks. I ran chkdsk and the problem reached its current condition.

I checked the registry value you mentioned and it is all as you described so I’m assuming that is not a source of problems.

Cheers,

I agree reinstall is probably the best thing to do, especially if your current issue occured after a problem with your system disk. Please you run chkdsk on the current system disk (and perhaps also on the data disks)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:25 PM