none
Expand Thread Carat RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,

In the Forums the Chevron used to expand a thread

1) Overlays options to Reply and quote etc.

2) Does not expand to most recent replies, seems to be limited to viewing all but the last two entries.

Chris Ward

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:49 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure what you just said to me. I am on Access Forums.

Trying to find out what "brand" of Access forum we should be trying to repro with.   The ones that you gave are both MSDN.   FWIW I could not repro there either with IE9 on W7 or IE8 on XPsp3 (on a VM).

Have you tried to see if you have the same symptom with a different forum brand?

For example, you could try looking at this thread using any of them:

Microsoft

TechNet

MSDN

Expression 

And if you are using IE you could try clearing your TIF.   E.g. press Ctrl-Shift-Delete, check only Temporary Internet Files and then click Delete.    Even better to do that with nothing using it, e.g. via Internet Options  (Run... control.exe inetcpl.cpl)  and  click Delete to see the same dialog.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:50 AM
  • KCDW,

Did you follow the processes Robert gave?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:50 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I can't repro. Can you link to the forum?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:43 AM
    Owner
  • As an example to the first part, look near the bottom after point 3;

I cannot find the other issue at the moment but I will keep looking. But as far as what to look for, Sometimes when you are expanding the Chevron, you will see the number of responses in the top right corner as let's say 10 however there are only 8 showing in the expanded view, when you click to open the thread then all 10 will show. Go back to Access Forum to that same thread and expand the chevron and the same problem exists. It could be a timing issue. I noticed several timing issues at various "times."

Sometimes, when you respond to a thread, you can see there are a few posts. You can respond several times then suddenly a post will show before your first one that wasn't there before. Sometimes the thread has an earlier time stamp and sometimes later. About a month ago there was an incident where (I can't remember which thread now) I posted a couple of posts to a thread. Just as I posted my third, a Post from Vanderghast showed before my first. I corresponded with Vanderghast who said from his view of the thread, his post was showing after all three of mine. I closed the web page and reopened and his was still showing before mine.

These are happening on both IE-8 and IE-9.

Chris Ward

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:50 PM
  • seems to be limited to viewing all but the last two entries.

That's a new feature in Microsoft Answers available as an option in your profile.   Very useful IMO.   Perhaps you are getting a sneak peek at it being ported to the TechNet brand?  (Assuming a question about licensing implies use of the TechNet brand.  I suspect Ed was hoping for a URL.) 

FWIW I just checked my Settings.   No such luck for me.    ;  }

---

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:49 PM
  • I'm not sure what you just said to me. I am on Access Forums. This is not specific to any thread, it occurs for most threads with 4 or more posts. It also happens in Excel Forums. Forums Issues seems to be fine though. I notice that Forums Issues also retains frames around the posts which is really nice, helps to focus the old eyes on the posts.

I also think the ^ is useful. I just think this oaught to be fixed. So if a link is needed to the forums here are two. Just click a thread with more than 4 posts and you can see the issue.

Excel

Access

Chris Ward

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:48 PM
  • I'm not sure what you just said to me. I am on Access Forums.

Trying to find out what "brand" of Access forum we should be trying to repro with.   The ones that you gave are both MSDN.   FWIW I could not repro there either with IE9 on W7 or IE8 on XPsp3 (on a VM).

Have you tried to see if you have the same symptom with a different forum brand?

For example, you could try looking at this thread using any of them:

Microsoft

TechNet

MSDN

Expression 

And if you are using IE you could try clearing your TIF.   E.g. press Ctrl-Shift-Delete, check only Temporary Internet Files and then click Delete.    Even better to do that with nothing using it, e.g. via Internet Options  (Run... control.exe inetcpl.cpl)  and  click Delete to see the same dialog.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Robert,

Thank you for all your contributions. Can you email me? It's edprice at Microsoft.

Thanks!

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:41 PM
    Owner
  • KCDW,

Did you follow the processes Robert gave?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:50 AM
    Owner