upgrading hdd RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently upgraded my pc from xp to windows 7.I need to have have more harddrive ,i only have 80g seagate can i upgrade to 250g.What i also need to know is how will the validation work.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:55 PM

Answers

• You can change your hard drive but you will have to reinstall the original OS and then reinstall the upgraded OS. If the OS validated on the current system changing the HDD will not invalidate the OS even if it is OEM. However, you may need to activate by phone.

When I change a HDD I use a disk imaging program to backup my current install, change drives and restore the image, process takes less than an hour to image, change out the drive, restore. Windows native restoration if your version has it or Macrium reflect free edition are to that come to mind, Acronis is populare also (but not free).

For further installation advice you should really go to the microsoft answers forum for installation, activation of windows 7.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:02 PM

All replies

• You can change your hard drive but you will have to reinstall the original OS and then reinstall the upgraded OS. If the OS validated on the current system changing the HDD will not invalidate the OS even if it is OEM. However, you may need to activate by phone.

When I change a HDD I use a disk imaging program to backup my current install, change drives and restore the image, process takes less than an hour to image, change out the drive, restore. Windows native restoration if your version has it or Macrium reflect free edition are to that come to mind, Acronis is populare also (but not free).

For further installation advice you should really go to the microsoft answers forum for installation, activation of windows 7.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:02 PM
  • i have took of the xp program files . and i dont have a xp installation disk . i only have the windows 7 disk,
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:14 PM