Firewall & Morro RRS feed

• Question

• I've only just learned about WLOC's future discontinuance and its replacement by a free, anti-malware service called "Morro."

My question is this: What about the beefed-up firewall currently available in WLOC?  Will that still be available or still function for those who switch over to Morro?

I'm running XP SP3.  Of course, XP does have a firewall, too.  But, my impression was that WLOC's was better.

Matthew W. I. Dunn
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:01 AM

Answers

• To the best of my knowledge, Morro will not include a firewall. If you are using XP, you will be reverting to the XP firewall which provides inbound protection by default. When the time comes to transition to Morro, I expect that more information will be made available about options for the firewall as well as other OneCare functions that won't be in Morro.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:29 PM

All replies

• To the best of my knowledge, Morro will not include a firewall. If you are using XP, you will be reverting to the XP firewall which provides inbound protection by default. When the time comes to transition to Morro, I expect that more information will be made available about options for the firewall as well as other OneCare functions that won't be in Morro.
    -steve
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Thanks.  I know now that you've answered this ad nauseam, but I hadn't seen your other replies until after I'd already posted.

Too bad about WLOC.  I'm also a 30 GB Zune owner -- and, probably the only person in the world who thinks its ouward design looks better than any iPod.  Having now experienced firsthand MSFT's forays into two markets (i.e., AV tech and music players), I feel like MSFT has simply lost its nerve.

My feelings about the Zune have become the same for WLOC: It's all so unfinished.  MSFT starts something with a big fanfare; bollixes it up a bit; re-groups; and, then says, "Nah, we're not interested in this anymore."  So, they pulled the plug on WLOC; and, the Zune seems to be dying a slow death.

The thing is: I actually liked WLOC -- not so much for what it did (because it could have done more: No automatic Disk Check?), but for the hope of what it might become.  Now, all for naught.

Maybe, MSFT will release a free, downloadable firewall.  That would be nice.  Maybe, maybe, maybe . . . that should be MSFT's advertising slogan.

Matthew W. I. Dunn
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:37 PM
  • I hear you on OneCare, Matthew. I think that OneCare was in need of further development. It was killed before it could reach its full potential. I also think that too many ancillary features were added in the v2 product before they fixes some glitches present since v1 - backup and tune-up issues come to mind. That said, I like OneCare and I am sad to see it killed off. I do anxiously await the opportunity to see Morro. It would also be great if other utilities are released as add-ons to Windows. We'll see.

As for the Zune, off topic for here, but I don't think you're seeing the Zune die. I have 2 30G devices, an 80G and a 120G. I prefer the 30 gig for my daily use, but the new hardware is a nice improvement in many ways. I am pretty sure that we will continue to see improvements in the Zune UI and functionality as well as updates to the Zune software.

-steve

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Another question:

In a few months, after WLOC bites the proverbial dust, wouldn't it still be possible to use its firewall?

Of course, I'd have to install another AV product (Morro or something else).  Presumably, I could just turn off WLOC's AV functionality in the Settings in order to avoid conflicts, and go on utilitizing WLOC's two-way firewall instead of going back to my XP firewall.

Matthew W. I. Dunn
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:44 AM
  • No, the firewall will not be useful without the remainder of OneCare's protection. My recommendation is to await word from Microsoft on alternatives. Once the OneCare subscription period ends for you, all access to the settings are disabled, so it would be pointless to try to keep the OC firewall running.

-steve

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:39 PM