Certification paths RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello I need some advice on certification paths. I’ve been in the IT filed for the past 5 years and I’m looking to start my Microsoft certifications. I was interested in the MCSE however it looks like Microsoft is going away from this certification. Would I be better off going for the Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) certifications or do I  still go with the MCSE?

    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:52 PM


  • Hi,

    It all depends on what you are more familiar with. If you have been using Server 2003 for a while I would recommend getting your MCSE has you are familiar with it.  Even though there are new certifications out there ie the MCITP Enterprise Administrator: Many companies will still be using Server 2003 and your certification will still be valid.

    Now if you have never used Server 2003, I would recommend the next generation certs MCTS. If you want to start out with the Server side (2008) there is the Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP) Enterprise Administrator and Server Administrator. These are comparable to the MCSA and MCSE of 2003 but not exactly the same.

    Now if you have not used either Server 2003 or 2008 but are more familiar with XP or Vista I would recommend going with the MCDST: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician, This is on XP


    MCITP: Consumer Support Technician and MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician. These will with the Vista Client...There will also be the same certs but for the Windows 7 clients.

    Here is a link for the MCDST:

    Here is a link for the available MCITPs

    Hope this helps.

    • Proposed as answer by Eric Stauss Monday, July 27, 2009 7:08 PM
    • Edited by Eric Stauss Monday, July 27, 2009 8:34 PM Typo
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, January 8, 2010 3:49 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:05 PM