none
Trying to Save a Java File onto My OS (C:) Drive

Question

• Okay so I downloaded this simple text editor called Notepad++ and wrote a simple code that I was trying to save as onto my OS (C:)drive, but the system then brought up a message along the lines of:

C:\ExampleProgram.java

You don't have permission to save in this location.

Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?

So I tried to look at other forums and I came across this method that seemed useful and so I tried giving my user on my computer full control on the properties location on the OS (C:) drive, and then I tried to see if I can save it again onto the drive but then it showed a new message:

C:\ExampleProgram.java

A required privilege is not held by the client.

So basically I am pretty lost as to what I'm supposed to do to be able to save my file onto that drive. Hopefully someone can answer this question for me, thanks.

P.S. It would be nice if I got a fast reply I really need to compile and run the java file soon.

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:02 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:53 PM

Answers

• Because of the security implications the root of all drives is owned by Trusted installer.  You cant save there.  You can save anywhere else.  Try saving to a different location.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:00 PM
  • As ZigZag3143x indicated, saving to the root is not good for many reasons. There are other places that also should not be used. For example, software that is installed in the "Program Files" directory should not save data there that is to be modified by the user.

The "Documents" ("My Documents" or whatever) is a good place. For one reason, it makes it easy for us to backup the most important data. Create a subdirectory of the Documents folder for your projects.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:51 PM
  • Hello,

Further questions should be asked in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:02 PM

All replies

• Because of the security implications the root of all drives is owned by Trusted installer.  You cant save there.  You can save anywhere else.  Try saving to a different location.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:00 PM
  • As ZigZag3143x indicated, saving to the root is not good for many reasons. There are other places that also should not be used. For example, software that is installed in the "Program Files" directory should not save data there that is to be modified by the user.

The "Documents" ("My Documents" or whatever) is a good place. For one reason, it makes it easy for us to backup the most important data. Create a subdirectory of the Documents folder for your projects.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:51 PM
  • Hello,

The Windows Desktop Perfmon and Diagnostic tools forum is to discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios.

As the question is off topic here, I am moving it to the Where is the Forum... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Hello,

Further questions should be asked in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

• I suppose I should have clicked the "Propose as answer" link since I am the only one that answered the question "what I'm supposed to do". Of course we should not provide answers to questions in the Where is the Forum... forum but at the time it was not there.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, July 4, 2016 10:18 PM