Unexpected shutdown error 6008 RRS feed

• Question

• I searched for this problem and found a few thread - mostly old ones.  But, I'm still at a loss.  I have an HP Mediasmart Ex485 w/ four 1 TB WD Black drives and I have 2 USB backup drives not in the pool.  I have no shared directories set for duplication.  The only add-ins I have are WHS Disk Management, WHS Toolkit 1.1, ASoft Autoexit 2008 & HP Mediasmart On-line backup - no AV.  My drive pool is a little over 1/2 full.  Most of my data is movie iso's, some photos and some music plus backups for 3 clients.  I use a modified XBox for my media center, hardwired to the network.  The problem I have is in watching movies and then it is pretty random, but roughly every 3-4 movies - boom, the server reboots.  The only thing in the event logs is as follows:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: EventLog
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 6008
    Date:  9/13/2009
    Time:  6:52:37 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: xxxxxxxx
    Description:
    The previous system shutdown at 6:49:48 PM on 9/13/2009 was unexpected.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: d9 07 09 00 00 00 0d 00   Ù.......
    0008: 12 00 31 00 30 00 13 02   ..1.0...
    0010: d9 07 09 00 00 00 0d 00   Ù.......
    0018: 17 00 31 00 30 00 13 02   ..1.0...

In the other threads I see reference to running "TalQ", but I don't know if it is installed on my system.  At least, I haven't found it.  Besides, I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.  There is no memory dump file in the root directory.

So...Help!

Monday, September 14, 2009 2:10 AM

Answers

• I searched for this problem and found a few thread - mostly old ones.  But, I'm still at a loss.  I have an HP Mediasmart Ex485 w/ four 1 TB WD Black drives and I have 2 USB backup drives not in the pool.  I have no shared directories set for duplication.  The only add-ins I have are WHS Disk Management, WHS Toolkit 1.1, ASoft Autoexit 2008 & HP Mediasmart On-line backup - no AV.  My drive pool is a little over 1/2 full.  Most of my data is movie iso's, some photos and some music plus backups for 3 clients.  I use a modified XBox for my media center, hardwired to the network.  The problem I have is in watching movies and then it is pretty random, but roughly every 3-4 movies - boom, the server reboots.  The only thing in the event logs is as follows:

Description:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:

In the other threads I see reference to running "TalQ", but I don't know if it is installed on my system.  At least, I haven't found it.  Besides, I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.  There is no memory dump file in the root directory.

So...Help!

Typically unexplained, random reboots like that are hardware related.  How long has it been happening?  Did you add/change/remove anything at the time (an external drive, for example)?
    • Marked as answer by Cedarcreek Friday, September 25, 2009 11:07 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:57 AM

All replies

Description:

Data:

So...Help!

Typically unexplained, random reboots like that are hardware related.  How long has it been happening?  Did you add/change/remove anything at the time (an external drive, for example)?
    • Marked as answer by Cedarcreek Friday, September 25, 2009 11:07 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Actually, it's happened a lot more than I had thought.  I filtered the event log and found it has occurred 39 time since July 4 which was the last time I reinstalled the server.  I suspect it may have been occuring before that.  I have added and removed HDD's several times during this timeframe while battling seemingly random file conflicts and ntfs errors.  During that time I ran chkdsk /x /r many times on all drives and it almost never reports any errors.  I've about convinced myself it is not a drive, but I guess it could be the controller or cabling.  I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that possibility.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:05 AM
  • From your post I conclude that you did not install any unusual software or changed anything in the OS or driver configuration?

As Kariya suggested, random boots are most likely caused by either hardware or driver problems. As this is an original HP MediaSmart (presumably still under garantee) I would suggest to contact HP support first. They will probably let you do a server re-install first with your original drive configuration to rule out a damaged OS install or a problem with the additional drives.

If this does not solve the problem i.m.o. the conclusion should be that your unit is defective and HP should replace your unit?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Yes, the box is under warranty and I just spoke with HP.  Actually, they want me to do a server factory reset, which is okay.  It will take some time to move 2 TB of data, but once the pool is cleaned out, I go back to only one drive, do a reset and then see if I can duplicate the problem.  It's a good thing I'm retired and don't have a day job.  Funny, the HP tech seemed to think the error translated to a 'buffer overflow' problem.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Interesting development.  I'm still in the process of moving files to backup drives (both internal & external).  Some time back, I reported some problems in copying large files (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/5fb1453b-1978-4eee-9380-8d26ce533f07).  As I attempted this time to move large files (4GB +) from the pool to an external USB drive, this problem was as severe as ever.  I have since removed one of the pool drives and added it back as a backup drive.  Now, if I move files from the pool to this internal backup drive, the copying problem is greatly reduced - almost non-existent.  Aha!  I thought.  The USB drive has a problem.  But, no.  I can now move files from the USB drive to the internal backup drive with the same almost problem-free process.  But, moving files from the pool to the USB drive still have the high rate of errors.  So, what could cause that?  I do not have duplication turned on in any of the shared folders involved.  Is there still some DE activity even though duplication is turned off?
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:28 PM
  • problem is greatly reduced - almost non-existent. 

Hmm... From this I get there are still some problems?
    From this only I would suspect that the USB hardware/casing/cables are having problems, especially when writing data. But unless you had the USB drive added to the WHS pool it is not likely that this is the core of your problems?

Must be some problem with the drive interface system. If it is the OS or drivers a factory reset should solve that.
    After the factory reset, I would test the unit to see If you can reproduce any of your problems. First with the one original drive. If this configuration goes well, add an aditional drive and see how it is doing then. And just to make sure you do not loose valuable data in the process, please keep your backups at hand?

Keep us posted?
    - Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:08 PM
  • The saga continues...

By playing a bit of leapfrog with drives, I finally managed to get all my data moved to non-pool drives (backup drives).  I was able to get everything on 2 out of the 4 drives (1 TB ea.), leaving me with the system drive and one blank 1 TB drive to play with.  I performed a server factory reset with only one drive installed and got the system fully updated.  I then added the drives containing data as backup drives and began copying data to the pool (which was the single drive at this time).  Copying the 4-6 gig movie files had much the same problems reported earlier in that if I tried to group copy more than 3-4 files, it would fail with "network path not found" or "path too deep" errors or just bomb out - depending upon whether I copied from one shared drive to another or if I RDC'd into WHS and copied via My Computer from the actual backup drive directory to the shared directory in the pool.  It should be noted that the failures using RDC should not have been network related as the copying action was totally internal to the server.  Closing the RDC window and watching the network switch activity lights (lack thereof) seems to bare this out.  The main purpose of copying files to the pool was so I could play the movies from my modified XBox to test for the "unexpected shutdown" error.  I then watched several movies without reproducing the error.  The error DID occur 2-3 times during the copying process, but not while watching a movie.  So, I added the one empty drive to the drive pool and copied more data into the pool.  Still no "unexpected shutdown" errors as a result of watching movies, even extra long movies.  However, during the copying process, I received a series (5-6) ntfs corrupt file errors.  The first was reported as in "Data" and the rest as being on drive D:.

So, I started all over again.  I moved the last drive from the pool back as a backup drive and moved the data from one of the other drives to it - emptying the drive.  I then used that newly emptied drive as the system drive and performed a factory reset once again.  I currently have 3 drives installed, the newly installed system drive, and 2 backup drives.  I have repartioned the old system drive and it is waiting in the wings right now.  I am in the process of copying data into the pool (only one drive right now), so I can once again test for the "unexpected shutdown" error while playing movies.  It should be noted that I am still experiencing multiple errors as a result of the copying process, some are "unexpected shutdown" errors.  However, the procedure resulting in the least number of errors is to use RDC and copy from the actual drive (F:\movies) in My Computer into the shared drive (\\servername\movies).  As a reminder, all files being copied are 4-6 GB files and there are lots of reports of copying problems for large file sizes.

A weird thing occurred before I performed the 2nd factory reset while I was copying files.  I had a 1 TB WD Green USB drive connected as a backup drive, but with no data and not being used in the copying process.  On a couple of occassions when the copying process would crash, the activity light would come on for the USB drive and stay on.  The only way to extinguish the light was to power down the USB drive.  On one occassion this produced a 13 GB chkdsk log file (unreadable because it was terminated when the drive was powered down).  Currently, I do not have the USB drive connected, but it should be noted that the "unexpected shutdown" errors I experienced while watching movies had began occuring before this drive was connected initially.

I have contacted HP Tech Support whose only suggestion was to try a factory reset, which I have done.  But, before I contact them again with the bad news, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to try at this stage to gain as much information as possible before going back to HP.

Any ideas?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:58 PM
  • I received a replacement chassis from HP today.  HP did it right.  I got an entire new box.  All I had to do was stick my HDD's in and power it up.  One note for anyone else replacing a chassis (or mobo).  The time on the replacement was 12 hours off (am instead of pm).  It may have corrected itself eventually, but with a headless server, one might not pick up on it right away.

I have copied about 200 large files (4-6 GB) from within the Shared folders (copying from backup drive to pool) with 0 (zero) errors.  I am very pleased with the results so far.  I have not checked out all the problems I have had, mainly file conflicts, ntfs errors and unexpected shutdowns, but it is looking good.  Hopefully you'll hear a lot less from me for a while.

I'm marking this as answered by kariya21 for suggesting it was a hardware problem.  Thanks.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:29 PM