Reconfigure Domain Name Sept. 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently receiving a network critical health warning....reconfigure domain name, with specific instructions....have not made any changes to my WHS nor remote configuration....I see posts etc. on this for Nov. 2007 update issue, but nothing now....anyone else seeing this and have a cure?
    • Edited by SwanNH603 Friday, September 3, 2010 2:26 PM typos
    Friday, September 3, 2010 2:26 PM

All replies

• I have also been getting this message as of late.  All I've done is go into Settings and click on Remote Access, click on Details, and then click Refresh.  You should get all green checks and it should clear the Critical Network Health issue.  I'm not sure why this cropped up, but I have not had to actually re-configure my domain yet.

Ed

Friday, September 3, 2010 3:33 PM
  • The error actually clears out after a while, and when I go to re-configuere the domain the only options I have are to release the domain and assign a new one.  This is not how the setup was when I did, for example, a refresh of the system or went from beta to full release, power packs etc....I am concerned it's a targeted attack and want MS to actually look into this and soon.

Friday, September 3, 2010 5:02 PM
  • The most recent update (KB979453, see issue#2) for WHS upgrades your server to the new 2048-bit certificate used. This is why you get the warning: you need to upgrade to the new certificate by reconfiguring your domain name.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, September 3, 2010 9:53 PM
  • So why do I want to do this and why does MS want me to do this and how will this impact the client PC's, both local and remote?
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Hi,
    As explained in KB979453:

Why:2048-bit certificates will soon replace 1024-bit certificates. This update enables Home Server users to use 2048-bit certificates before 2048-bit certificates become the industry standard.

Impact: After you install this update, you are asked to renew Website certificates if you have already registered the live domain for the websites. After you finish the renewal process, the website certificates are upgraded to 2048-bit.

- Theo.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Thank for the reply, Theo.  Fortunately, I did in fact read the kb article prior to asking my last set of questions so copying the text from there to here does not answer my questions. Please at least respond to my last question, "how will this impact the client PC's, both local and remote?"  Also, please be patient with us as we are not all MS MVP's. Thanks.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Thank for the reply, Theo.  Fortunately, I did in fact read the kb article prior to asking my last set of questions so copying the text from there to here does not answer my questions. Please at least respond to my last question, "how will this impact the client PC's, both local and remote?"  Also, please be patient with us as we are not all MS MVP's. Thanks.
    It shouldn't have any impact at all.  Mine continue to function normally.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Hi,
    You are right. In trying to highlight the part of th KB that applied to your question I actually forgot to answer it :-|
    But fortunately Karya (tnx) jumped in with the answer :-)

- Theo.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 6:26 PM
  • It would probably have been more useful to include with the warning some text about what was happening and why and also to use different terminology than 'release' domain name...it made me think I had to get a new one which meant all my links to the WHS would be messed up....I did release the domain, added it back and all seems well...MS should try harder to remember that we're not all MS MVP's (had to reiterate thia as I come acros this too often).

Thanks.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:14 PM
  • It would probably have been more useful to include with the warning some text about what was happening and why and also to use different terminology than 'release' domain name...it made me think I had to get a new one which meant all my links to the WHS would be messed up....I did release the domain, added it back and all seems well...MS should try harder to remember that we're not all MS MVP's (had to reiterate thia as I come acros this too often).

Thanks.

Exactly.  I looked at that dialog "release current domain name" or "get a new domain name" and thought, heck I don't want to do either of those.  This dialog box should be worded more clearly.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:24 AM