none
Date / Time difference between Client + WHS = No access to shares and Password conflics via connector RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,  I recently updated my BIOS on my client machine and then cleared the CMOS.  This led to the date / time being wrong on my Windows 7 Client machine but i didnt notice (it was showing 5th Feb 2010 when it was actually the 18th Feb).

When i logged back into windows i stared to get pop up messages from the WHS connector indicating conflicts between my password on my local machine and the one on the WHS.

So i tried to change the password via the connector for this user and all appeared to succeed (with regard to the password change) but the warnings continued.

I then noticed that i couldnt access my shares as well on the WHS from the Shared folders link that is created upon install of the WHS connector software.

After confirming it was my machine at fault (as i was still able to gain access from my laptop) i went about checking my firewall, network drivers, event viewer etc to try and find a solution but nothing was evident.

It was then i noticed the time difference and synced with an Internet Time provider.  As soon as i did this it worked perfectly, no more password errors and the shares sprang back into life.

Im not sure that this is a bug, but it would be nice if there is a time difference that the connector software identifies this and warns that the client time is different from the server time rather than complaining that the passwords mismatch (when they dont).

All upto date running PP3.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:38 PM

All replies

• If it's a bug (I tend to agree that it is) it's a bug in Windows, not Windows Home Server. You would see the same behavior if you tried to access shares on a Windows desktop PC remotely with the same time difference.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:47 PM
  • I'm not entirely sure this is a bug, rather i think this is possibly a security feature.

If there is a difference between the times of the machines it could be that Windows refuses to allow connections due to this although this doesn't answer why the WHS connector reports the problem as mismatching passwords, however even clicking on the share brings up a username/password box.

I'd appreciate it is somebody on the WHS team could comment as the way i see it its either a bug or a clarification of the error message on the WHS Connector that's needed.

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Any further comment?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:12 AM
  • The bug is that there's no useful error message, not that it doesn't work. It shouldn't work (i.e. you're correct that it's a security feature), because of the way Windows hashes credentials.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the team to comment. They occasionally read the forums, but are much more likely to look at something posted to Connect.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:08 PM