none
Alert icon in thread list for threads not subscribed to RRS feed

• Question

• I saw the alert icon on some threads that I don't think I subscribed (I don't really go to the SQL forums):

And when I open the threads, I see I don't have a subscription:

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• how many of these are there for you?

Can you go into one, subscribe and unsubscribe, does this remove the subscribed state?

Community Forums Program Manager

Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:58 PM
    Answerer
  • I don't really know... I found this when I was viewing another user's thread list.

Subscribe and unsubscribe does not seem to have any effect.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:04 PM
  • When I checked that list, I saw all these threads in italic even though I read all of them.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:45 PM
  • I don't really know... I found this when I was viewing another user's thread list.

Subscribe and unsubscribe does not seem to have any effect.

Visual C++ MVP

So when you go into those threads, does it have "Alert me" checked? Does it say "Remove Alert" on the upper left of the threads?

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:30 AM
    Owner
  • BTW, please note the problem with the link in this message also. 

My blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:47 AM
  • No. you can check the second image in the original post.

Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:48 AM
  • When I checked that list again I saw several threads again in italic, but I'm positive I read all these threads and didn't miss the message in them.

So, perhaps when we see someone's else threads the list looks like you're that user.

BTW, I also see a icon on some of the threads and I am pretty sure I didn't subscribe. So, when we're looking at this list it looks from Celko's point of the view.

My blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:51 AM
  • Also, note that most of the threads in this list are in italic - which means you read them before. Did you read Transact-SQL threads? I am positive that the list looks from the point of the view by Celko when you're looking at his threads.

My blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:55 AM
  • No, I don't subscribe the forum so I am positive that I haven't read any of them except those showing the alert icon, which I opened to check the subscription status.

If it were from Celko's POV then all threads should be in the read status as this is his thread list.

Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:51 PM
  • They are all in either Read Status or Italic (when it's not his last reply). So, I am positive that we're looking at this list from his point of view.

My blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Is this written up as a bug?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:23 PM
    Owner
  • Don't know if the thread list is supposed to display the user's alert subscription or the viewer's. If the alert icon is intend for the viewer, then yes this is a bug.

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Don't know if the thread list is supposed to display the user's alert subscription or the viewer's. If the alert icon is intend for the viewer, then yes this is a bug.

Visual C++ MVP

Pretty sure the viewers.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:52 PM
    Owner
  • Yes, I also think so. I don't think we want to see other person's read/unread threads from that other person's view - this is a private information.

My blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Just to confirm that when looking at someone's threads we indeed look from that person's point of view

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Dave_Ballantyne

My blog

Friday, May 25, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Just to confirm that when looking at someone's threads we indeed look from that person's point of view

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Dave_Ballantyne

My blog

Ah, so this is how it is built. It's not an isolated bug. This is likely "by design" and more of a feature request. I agree that it's confusing, though. I'll ask the product team.

Thanks Sheng and Naomi!

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:41 PM
    Owner
  • I think most likely it's a bug (or functionality that was not anticipated). It is probably relatively easy to fix (I am guessing). Say, I can now view your threads and know all the threads you've been participating and to which you subscribed or not.

My blog

Friday, May 25, 2012 9:18 PM
  • I need to submit an inquiry to the forums team.

Thanks!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:03 PM
    Owner
  • So the only way to get there is via Browse Forums Users, right?

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 11:40 PM
    Owner
  • I submitted a bug request.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 11:42 PM
    Owner
  • The way to get to other person's threads - hover the mouse over the name in the thread and notice a small link at the bottom called 'That person threads'. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Ed%20Price%20-%20MSFT

My blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:25 AM
  • The way to get to other person's threads - hover the mouse over the name in the thread and notice a small link at the bottom called 'That person threads'. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Ed%20Price%20-%20MSFT

My blog

Awesome. Thanks! It looks like you can do it both ways. The other way is to click Browse Forum Users on the right and then click the link on the right for their # of threads.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:20 AM
    Owner
  • Naomi, I saw that you don't have any alerts. Is that because you're using the Bridge?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:21 AM
    Owner
  • No. It's because I always click on 'My Threads' link and I don't have unread messages there. When I start my day, I start from clicking on that link and answer to the new messages made in my threads. Then I also check what happened at night by looking at My Activity (had to click twice to go to Activities page). Then after that's done I start reading Transact-SQL forum threads from top to bottom. I don't have unread threads in this forum either (my first unread message in that forum is in June 2010). In between I also check other forums from My Forums.

I don't want to flood my gmail account.

My blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:30 AM
  • I just filed a bug to track this issue.

Thanks for reporting it.

Community Forums QA

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:21 PM