Home Automation Website Plus. RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first message in this forum so be kind.

I don't own a WHS yet and need to know if and how to setup multiple websites under one domain.

What I have:

A pc running XP Pro connected to a linksys router.

On this pc I have a web server using port 80 (Home Site) and a Home Automation web server using port 8080.

When I get HP MediaSmart server what would be the path for establishing a way to access multiple websites?

I may not be clear on what I am looking for but I want to be able to access these assorted sites from my work place which the firewall may only allow access to port 80 and 8080.

So from a custom home page (not password protected and open to the public) I want access to the Home Automation site (asp.net) password protected, WHS site password protected , Home security video site.

My confusion is ports and how to setup this up on the router and which machine holds what.

Recap: with only port 80 and 8080 available for viewing how do I setup multiple pages/sites?  Or can I?

The Ideal situation would be to go to a custom Home page then access the WHS, log in and see Home Automation and Home security video as options. 

Any Clues?  Point me in a direction so I can read further.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 7:35 AM

Answers

•  BMXdadtoo wrote:

Looked into host headers and this may be the answer.  I must be doing something wrong as when I set up the host header and access my port 80 website (which is running on another machine using BRS Webweaver web server software) I then see a message something like "this site is a secure site".

I am unable to see the whs site because of certificate issues which I under stand is another issue.

If you have installed all updates the certificate should be no problem. Please note that you may get the certificate error when you access the website from within your LAN.

BMXdadtoo wrote:
    So again what I want to see happen is from:

machine IP 192.168.0.2 port 80 see my home website

maching IP 192.168.0.2 port 8080 see my my home automation website.

machine IP 192.168.0.14 port 443 see WHS

But it also seems that I can not change the none secure port for WHS to anything but 80. I have tried in IIs manager.

I also now seem to be getting the message router can not see website unless IIs points at port 80.

This is normal, the router will only look for port 80 access. You will have to test this from outside your network!

For using other then default ports please read http://mswhs.com/2007/06/21/problems-accessing-whs-web-interface-ports-80-and-443-blocked/ and http://mswhs.com/2008/01/30/changing-the-port-your-certificate-applies-to/. Also please have a look at the thread Re: Remote access - once again back into the fire!

BMXdadtoo wrote:
    So I am playing aroung with what I think is correct and maybe missing something simple

My home site ip .2 has its own domain name and a virtual host points to my wan ip address. My router points port 80 to ip .2

I don't think I fully understand what you mean, however you router should forward port 80 to the system where you setup the hostheaders. I'm no expert on this issue, however AFAIK both websites should run on the same server when using host headers, so you probably also need to setup one using a redirect to the website on the other machine in your LAN. (I missed the point that you were running the websites on two different machines)

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:45 AM

All replies

• You can use host headers:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/596b9108-b1a7-494d-885d-f8941b07554c.mspx?mfr=true

Also please search this forum for host headers. I'm sure you'll find more useful info.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:35 AM
  • Looked into host headers and this may be the answer.  I must be doing something wrong as when I set up the host header and access my port 80 website (which is running on another machine using BRS Webweaver web server software) I then see a message something like "this site is a secure site".

I am unable to see the whs site because of certificate issues which I under stand is another issue.

But it also seems that I can not change the none secure port for WHS to anything but 80. I have tried in IIs manager.

I also now seem to be getting the message router can not see website unless IIs points at port 80.

So I am playing aroung with what I think is correct and maybe missing something simple

My home site ip .2 has its own domain name and a virtual host points to my wan ip address. My router points port 80 to ip .2

So in short there is more going on then I have a good understanding of and I am sure I am just missing something simple.

The certificate thing is next. or should it be?

Sunday, June 1, 2008 4:31 AM
  •  BMXdadtoo wrote:

Looked into host headers and this may be the answer.  I must be doing something wrong as when I set up the host header and access my port 80 website (which is running on another machine using BRS Webweaver web server software) I then see a message something like "this site is a secure site".

If you have installed all updates the certificate should be no problem. Please note that you may get the certificate error when you access the website from within your LAN.

BMXdadtoo wrote:

This is normal, the router will only look for port 80 access. You will have to test this from outside your network!

For using other then default ports please read http://mswhs.com/2007/06/21/problems-accessing-whs-web-interface-ports-80-and-443-blocked/ and http://mswhs.com/2008/01/30/changing-the-port-your-certificate-applies-to/. Also please have a look at the thread Re: Remote access - once again back into the fire!

BMXdadtoo wrote:

I don't think I fully understand what you mean, however you router should forward port 80 to the system where you setup the hostheaders. I'm no expert on this issue, however AFAIK both websites should run on the same server when using host headers, so you probably also need to setup one using a redirect to the website on the other machine in your LAN. (I missed the point that you were running the websites on two different machines)

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:45 AM