how to copy the description automaticlly of an activity when creating a follow up activity RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

for example, i open an appointment and then i create a phonecall following this appointment, i want that the description of phoncall is filled automaticlly the same of it in appointment. how to realize this? thanks for any ideas

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:40 PM

Answers

• You could create an On Demand workflow to create the phone call for you rather than use the Follow Up button.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

or hear me tweet @leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:48 PM
  • I Suggest creating your own Follow Up Form in a new Tab maybe. You’ll be able to quickly achieve your task without messing with CRM form assistance and still get a solid user interface.

This example was quickly setup on account but you use the concept anywhere. 

GI CRM Blog * GI Website
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:51 PM

All replies

• " i create a phonecall following this appointment" Could you tell us some more details on this ???
    Mahain
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

we open an appointment, in the top bar, there is a button "Follow up" ,we click it and then in the right we can see a small panel to create a new activity. what i want is to let the description of newly created activity the same of the descrption in this appointment

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:47 PM
  • I would look into javascript on the phonecall entity

something like

//FormType is Quick
    if (crmForm.FormType ==5)
    {
    // You may have to use parent so the description found isnt the one on the phonecall entity!
    var desc = document.getElementsByID("Description Field On CRM APP Form");
    // Place the description in the Phonecall description box
    crmForm.all.Description.DataValue = desc;
    }

The about is totally off the top off my head, i dont have time to check unfortunately, however this would only ever fire if the form was opened as a quick form (therefore not causing trouble when its not!)

Thats how i would go about this..

Let me know if you get it working

Jonathan Nachman MBSP, MCTS

Microsoft CRM Technical Blog

Technical CRM Consultant for KMS Software
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:49 PM
  • You could create an On Demand workflow to create the phone call for you rather than use the Follow Up button.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

or hear me tweet @leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Hi,

i follow you idea. i can get the value of description

var desc = document.getElementsByID("Description").value;

but finally, there is nothing happended, the quick create form only displayed the required field.the "description" is not required, i try to use crmForm.all.Description.DataValue = desc; but it doesnt work.

and there are 2 description in this situation?

thanks

Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:39 AM
  • well im assuming that you dont want to make it a required field, how about doing some call to the webservice and get the description from the appointment by its GUID (if you can find it?)...

obviously if the formtype is a quick form, you can use something like this to make the call. I guess the hardest thing will be to get the guid of the appointment from the quickform page.....

once again, im not near a installation to test it...

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:06 AM
  • have you tried parent.document.getElementsByID("Description").value; i would use alert first to test i.e.

alert(parent.document.getElementsByID("Description").value);

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:28 AM
  • Hi, Leon

is one workflow can only work on one entity? if this, i have to create more then 16 workflow..my boss's require is when quick create a activity following up an other activity..so appointment, service activity, phonecall, email...at least 16

thanks

Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:29 PM
  • I Suggest creating your own Follow Up Form in a new Tab maybe. You’ll be able to quickly achieve your task without messing with CRM form assistance and still get a solid user interface.

This example was quickly setup on account but you use the concept anywhere. 

GI CRM Blog * GI Website
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:51 PM
  • WOW, thanks for your idea, it expands my eyesight!!

this is difficute to me, but if there is other choise, i have to try

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Oh, the problem is i dont know how to set the value of for example, the subject of quick create activty.

i try this code in onload

if(crmForm.FormType==5)

{

alert("why");

crmForm.all.subject.DataValue="lallala";

}

i click follow up and select phonecall in the type. nothing happened....

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:55 PM
  • An Idea jumping off ADI's

It may be that the javascript is disabled from the form assistant. How about going through the actual page.

the actual page you want can be found here

http://CRMSERVER:5555/_forms/QuickCreateReturn/quickcreate.aspx?crmFormSubmitObjectType=4210   where 4210 is the Entities Type ID, you can maybe place this is in a iframe and then use parent.document.getelementsbyid("Description").value as that will probably work.....

This will probably emulate what ADI was showing you without the extra customisations......

However, i think there is a problem when you click the save button. as it refreshes the parent page too i think...... i remember using this idea for something else a while ago!

Have a go and let me know, its a shame i cant get near a crm system to try myself.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Hello,

i try to search some JS code about the quick create, specially about the example to using the JS in quick create form, but i can not find somting useful..maybe there is no simple way. if the user really need, i have to try the ways you said , or the workflow and customered form others people proposed to me

Thanks

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:09 PM