Basic Newbie Questions RRS feed

• Question

•  

Looking at one of the HP WHS boxes...

Can HP / WHS support RAID 1. Can I hot swap one disc in the Raid one pair for offsite backup...

Can HP / WHS work as a fax server. Current I use an old lap top as an always on fax server. If I get a usb fax / modem will WHS recognize it and recieve faxes on it. Can I set up a shared FAX using WHS or will I need to remote connect to the WHS machine in order to send faxes

Can WHS support active PERL. I currently use Logitech / SlimDevices Music Server and Squeezebox units for music playback. If I switch to WHS will I be able to install the SlimServer software (Which is fundamentally an active perl application) on the WHS server.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:01 PM

Answers

• I think all the answers will depend on your definition of support :-)

if you mean can you do things and expect MS or HP to support you, then the answer is probably no - certainly to question 1.

can it work as a fax server - if you can get software that works on WHS then yes, it should be fine (look for 2003 supported software, which should work).

Andrew

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:11 PM
  • RAID: No. Not on the HP EX47x series of devices. It's unsupported but do-able if you build your own; there are advantages and disadvantages to going that route.

Fax: If you can configure the Fax service, or have fax server software that will install on Windows Server 2003, then yes you should be able to do what you want. are you comfortable with doing that?

PERL: Yes.

You should be consious of the fact that WHS isn't designed for use as a desktop system; it's a headless appliance, a node on your network that supplies services to PCs on (and off, if you configure remote access) your own network.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:18 PM

All replies

• I think all the answers will depend on your definition of support :-)

if you mean can you do things and expect MS or HP to support you, then the answer is probably no - certainly to question 1.

can it work as a fax server - if you can get software that works on WHS then yes, it should be fine (look for 2003 supported software, which should work).

Andrew

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:11 PM
  • RAID: No. Not on the HP EX47x series of devices. It's unsupported but do-able if you build your own; there are advantages and disadvantages to going that route.

Fax: If you can configure the Fax service, or have fax server software that will install on Windows Server 2003, then yes you should be able to do what you want. are you comfortable with doing that?

PERL: Yes.

You should be consious of the fact that WHS isn't designed for use as a desktop system; it's a headless appliance, a node on your network that supplies services to PCs on (and off, if you configure remote access) your own network.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:18 PM
  •  

thanks for the replies

Basically it's the headless nature of WHS that appeals to me.

Today I have old laptop with a broken LCD that acts as a a fax server and music server for the whole home network ( I access it via Remote Desktop Connection when necessary). It the runs the Music Server ( www.slimdevices.com)  a PERL application that can be remotely administered via a Web Browser from any machine in the house, I have windows XP Fax services running for incoming faxes and have the faxes delivered to a shared folder. I use XIMETA NDAS (NAS) storage boxes in a RAID-1 Configuration. Works well but has problems when the NDAS boxes make thier primary association with one of the slower machines on the network. If I could replace everything with a WHS based box that would (a) allow RAID 1 Fail over so I can simply remove a disk to off site storage, (b) Support Fax Services, and (c) Support my PERL based music server I'd be very happy. I've got hold of the 120 day trial of WHS so I'll be installing it on a old box and seeing what can be configured..

Friday, February 22, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  

After you install WHS, could you please post your findings regarding the fax services available. I would like to know if the Microsoft Fax Service is available on WHS and if it works like on XP (only one modem supported) or like on Win 2003 (multiple modems supported).

Thanks

Friday, February 22, 2008 11:52 PM