installed money 2002 on new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed msmoney2002 on my new laptop. after setting it to run under windows xp (sp3) it opens up. Unfortunately it wont open my existing .mny files quoting incorrect password used. I vaguely remember this happening on my last laptop This and previous have windows10 as OS.

can anyone help with this. i am wondering whether opening the file on my previous laptop and removing the password will work and then replacing the password if it opens on the new laptop.

Grateful for any ideas please

Monday, August 12, 2019 2:21 PM

Answers

• Do you get the "incorrect password" error message when Money asks for a password and you enter what you think is the correct password?  In that case, opening the file on your previous laptop and removing the password is worth a try.

But there are other reasons for this error message.  Does that error happen as soon as you try to open your Money.mny file?  In that case, it may be that your Money.mny file was created with a version of Money that is newer than Money 2002.  Maybe you upgraded some time ago and have forgotten?  If you can still open the file on your previous laptop, check the version to see if it is Money 2002.  (Help>About Microsoft Money)  If it's newer, you will need to install a version of Money that is the same or newer.

You can see a list of the Money versions here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Money

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by Me.today Monday, August 12, 2019 3:22 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 2:50 PM

All replies

• This is Money 2002's response when you try to use it to open a file created by a newer version.

If you install the appropriate version linked by what is currently the second post on this forum, if you convert a file from an older version, Money keeps a copy of the unconverted file. The extension will identify what vintage file was converted. For example, *.m12 would be a Money 2004 file.

Monday, August 12, 2019 2:40 PM
  • Do you get the "incorrect password" error message when Money asks for a password and you enter what you think is the correct password?  In that case, opening the file on your previous laptop and removing the password is worth a try.

But there are other reasons for this error message.  Does that error happen as soon as you try to open your Money.mny file?  In that case, it may be that your Money.mny file was created with a version of Money that is newer than Money 2002.  Maybe you upgraded some time ago and have forgotten?  If you can still open the file on your previous laptop, check the version to see if it is Money 2002.  (Help>About Microsoft Money)  If it's newer, you will need to install a version of Money that is the same or newer.

You can see a list of the Money versions here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Money

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by Me.today Monday, August 12, 2019 3:22 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 2:50 PM
  • Ah, Silly me. Yes you are right. I was forced into upgrading Money Plus Deluxe in 2016. I have just installed that version and am able to open my files.

Thank you

Monday, August 12, 2019 3:22 PM
  • I presume you are using Money Plus Deluxe. Install the patch described in what is currently the first post in this forum.

Monday, August 12, 2019 3:25 PM