WHS 64-bit / Sometimes referred to as WHS Version 2 - Where can I find information about this? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a carcas and several hdd's ready to build my personal WHS machine, but I want it to be 64-bit to take advantage of all things 64-bit. I can't seem to find any good information about the improvements intended, possible date of release, etc.

Anyone, anyone, Ferris?

thanks, MicroSSG
    Friday, November 21, 2008 1:57 AM

Answers

• MicroSSG said:

I've got a carcas and several hdd's ready to build my personal WHS machine, but I want it to be 64-bit to take advantage of all things 64-bit. I can't seem to find any good information about the improvements intended, possible date of release, etc.

Anyone, anyone, Ferris?

thanks, MicroSSG

The reason you can't find any good information is because there isn't any. :)  MS has said nothing about WHS v2 at this point so any information you might find on the internet is purely speculation.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 3:31 AM

All replies

• MicroSSG said:

I've got a carcas and several hdd's ready to build my personal WHS machine, but I want it to be 64-bit to take advantage of all things 64-bit. I can't seem to find any good information about the improvements intended, possible date of release, etc.

Anyone, anyone, Ferris?

thanks, MicroSSG

The reason you can't find any good information is because there isn't any. :)  MS has said nothing about WHS v2 at this point so any information you might find on the internet is purely speculation.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 3:31 AM
  • That's my assumption and I did read the postings where a job listing gave insights...

It would be nice to have an idea as to when the 64-bit version is slated for, even if it is only a Quarter, Q3 '09. Additionaly it would be nice to know what upgrade path will be available from 32 to 64-bit. From a policy standpoint.

MicroSSG
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:07 AM
  • It is interesting that the description on the HP web site for the EX470 indicates 64-bit power.   Running a 32-bit OS for the time being, I don't know that the 64-bit capable CPU is significantly faster.   Perhaps in the future?

Martin

martin
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:25 AM
  • 64-bit capable CPUs have been an OEM requirement/system builder strong recommendation from the get-go since MS has stated that some future version of WHS will be 64-. The existing HP MSSes are 64- as well.

I don't think you can read much into the EX470 web site.

It's kinda like saying we anticipate the sun will come up in the east at some point in the future. At some point WHS will go 64-bit. Shadow copies, however, probably still won't work.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:25 PM