Just who is the target market RRS feed

• Question

• Reading through the forums, I find it very interesting some of the feature requests coming through.

As a technologist, I would like to see more commercial features in the application (such as firewall/proxy/wsus etc).  However, what is the the target market for the WHS environment.

For home users I believe some of these features would be overly complex to administer and the potential for data loss and misconfiguration could be potenitally high risk.

If the product is for a technologist, then I would agree with most of the feature requests, as most of us would like to see a Home Server version of SBS 2003, but allow all management of policies and client configuration to be controlled by the agent on the pc.  So this would include things like WSUS updates/Proxy config/GPO style lockdown/Parental control on Internet connections etc.

Just my thoughts.

JiX

Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:45 AM

All replies

• The target market for this product is the family. It is meant more for those that aren't to computer savvy and want to be able to share pictures, video, music etc with family and friends. It has been said many times before this is not meant for the "technologist" as you put it. If you want to be able to do that type of thing you are better off buying Windows Small Business Server.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:53 AM
  • The target market is homes with multiple computers and an always-on broadband connection to the Internet. Beyond that, I've done a lot of reading, and watched several videos that have been posted on the web here and there. Charlie Kindel, in the first video, discussed the two "target personas," one of whom is basically an Excel jockey, and the other of whom is a developer/enthusiast. I think of them as "unsophisticated" and "savvy".

I would conclude that the primary target market is likely to be the Excel jockey, based on the way the features of WHS are presented. There's a lot of richness in the back-end to support almost anything the savvy user can imagine, possibly with a lot of work on the savvy user's part.

Further, the primary delivery channel for WHS is almost certainly going to be OEM, a la the HP MediaSmart Server and similar appliances. The unsophisticated user will probably make their purchases through this channel. There will also be a standalone "Bring Your Own Box" (i.e. retail) channel for the savvy user.

It almost goes without saying that the overwhelming majority of users in the beta program fall into the savvy camp. In my testing, I have tried to step back from that a little. Yes, I have a RAID 5 array in my WHS. Yes, I had installed a third party service (a book/CD/DVD database) within a couple of days. Yes, I've been poking around under the hood for the past couple of weeks. But I've tried to look at every issue I find, and every screen I see, with the eyes of someone who doesn't really understand the technology he's dealing with.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:58 AM
  • Personally I am excited about the product and see a growing market for the need.  The possibilities for this system is pretty awesome.  easily setup a web portal for calendar, showing photo's to your family.  Getting that file you left at home.  Getting ALL microsoft products talking together including:

UMPC

Xbox360

Microsoft Phone

Zune

Ford Car in the garage

I would like to see OneCare server come out.  But all in all, I think I will be installing these retail for many people once it is available

Thursday, March 1, 2007 3:37 AM
  • This would be amazing if MS actually pulls it off linking everyting to one device would be great for the average home users .Less maintaince , less walking around ( actually a good thing for us geeks :-P ) the ability to stream music , games , movies into that 40inc LCD or Plasma is great however somethings comes into mind a) What sort of redundancy is going to be available ? Say a home user whos using the WHS for business use wants security , speed , and reliability we dont want our user crashing all thier lifes work now do we? :-D
    Friday, March 2, 2007 1:06 AM
  • I see myself very much as a 'savvy' user, but just because I'm savvy doesn't mean I can't appreciate a simple, automated, user friendly, fire-and-forget system like WHS. Savvy people like to tweak and customise, but they also like things that sit in the corner and just plain work, doing their job. That's very much what WHS is. Shared storage and automated network-wide backups are much more enticing features to me than remote access, but I could definitely see myself finding that useful someday.

And frankly, I'll be astounded if the release of WHS isn't followed closely by a great number of programs being released, whether commercially or by the open source community, which take advantage of the platform and add more advanced network services to it.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 6:43 AM
  •  This would be the ideal plan for WHS, to me it would be a great idea. Allowing the XBOX360 to use the server for it's storage rather than the "super tiny by todays standards" 20GB hard drive.  (Make a partition encrypted so I can't touch it from Windows only readable by XBOX... I don't really care, I just need more storage space for the x360)

Also being able to have a OneCare "server/corp" so that all connected computer receive updates via the WHS. Buy a OneCare server license and it be good for one install of an admin install and 10 clients.

Friday, March 2, 2007 1:26 PM
  • I like being able to move the media off my primary household Vista box.

I have a vista box with 2 500gb hard drives and share 450gb of mp3's and anothe 300gb .jpg or .mpg. 

I like the fact that i can move that storage to a seperate box and have it stored / served up from there.

Friday, March 2, 2007 4:30 PM
  • Well here is my two cents.

This is being marketed to the home user.  I see everyone saying this is supposed to be a headless product and a server only.  Well the idea is cool, and I'm very new to the product so far and can't give an accurate opinion about the ectual product yet, but ehre's what I think it could or should be.

People at home can't always dedicate a computer solely to being a server very easily.  Also, people at home don't really need just a server that sits in a closet never to be seen.  People at home are very into showing off gadgets and having themes and customizations.  Aside from the functionality of the server in relation to interaction to my other workstations, I want to have a computer that I can mod out in a cool case, put a cool windows theme on it, maybe still use it for simple stuff like web browsing and downloading files, would be cool if I could use something like Nero to make dvd compilations of files from the server without having to offload them to another machine first, and maybe even use it to remote control into other workstations for any maintenance kind of stuff.  My main point is that it has to be directly useable and functional to a point and be able to look cool, because I'm not going to just hide it away in a rackmount closet somewhere.

Oh, I'm a gamer too.  I host my own simple website, and run my own little Ventrillo server that a few of my friends can log into.  It would be cool if I could use this for running those extra services on so that it frees up my game computer for playing games.

Friday, March 2, 2007 5:57 PM
  •  I completely disagree with this 100%.

If people can not dedicate a computer to solely be a server is probably because of 1 of 2 things. 1 they can not actually afford a server. 2 and the main one, they do not actually know what a server is.

Say I walk into the target audience's home. I do not plan on having some Dr., lawyer, fisherman, mechanic, whoever it is showing me a 4ft tall, water cooled, windowed, neon lit home "server" with Doom3 playing. Most real servers don't have monitors and are hidden, are tucked away which is exactly how this one should be. You should be able to install it, put it somewhere and practically forget it is even there, physically. It needs ample storage, ram, and a long life expectancy.

This is not meant to become a Windows XP / Vista PC whose secondary purpose is to house your files.

This "problem" also occurred when Server 2k3 was coming out, with the 1000's of people downloading and asking on forums how do I run games, enable themes, etc on WinServer2k3. It is a server OS and many people just do not fully understand or utilize what it is actually supposed to be used for.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 2:36 AM