How do you force WHS to add a service and start it? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 sata controllers in PCI-X slots in a Supermicro X5DA8 motherboard.  The drivers included on the CD with the controller are the latest for W2k-XP-2K3 and work with W2K Server and XP, and I see all 16 drives and they are usable in software raid.  I decided to try WHS on this computer system and when I direct WHS new hardware wizard to the A: drive floppy it copies the files, loads the registry, and fails to start the aar81xx.sys driver and service.  I get an "This device cannot start. (10)" error message.  Device manager moves the properly renames the 2 devices and moves them from the "Other?" catagory to the SCSI controller group.  However, aar81xx does not show up as a listed service, even though the aar81xx.inf file lists it as the service.

How can I force the WHS services to add the aar81xx to its list and start aar81xx.sys at boot up?

I have uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled 4 times with no luck.  I went though the registery and removed all the traces of the driver and the files from C: and tried it again and still the service will not start.   What to do?

Thank you.

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, March 22, 2010 11:09 AM hardware question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 9:24 AM

All replies

• Have you tried installing under plain Windows Server 2003? That's the base operating system for Windows Home Server.

Also, have you checked with Supermicro for assistance?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:08 AM
  • Do you get the same problem with only one SATA Controller connected?
    --
    Monday, March 22, 2010 4:25 PM
  • I have been dealing with the plain 2003 Server part of WHS in loading drivers.  I have been using Device Manager to try to load the drivers after WHS is running on only the system drivers (a SCSI Raid-0 combo of 6 Cheetah drives).  I am having the same problem with either controller, and the 2 controllers show up in Device Manager and the registry. 

I browsed about in the registery some more and found the aar88xx driver is listed in the Service group, I tried to copy some to the settings from the SCSI controller (for the system drives) and add them to start the driver but it did not work.  I guess even though the drivers are on Supermicro's FTS site and listed as the latest for the AOC-SAT2-MV8 controller and Win. 2003 they do not want to start in WHS.  I think I will do a clean reinstall tomorrow using the mvsata.sys drivers that worked with 2000 and XP. My efforts to clean out the non-starting driver and load the XP driver did not do any better.  It will be nice if one hardware driver works with 3 OS versions.

Is 2003 basically a warmed over version of XP?  The ATI web site does not have a listing for 2003 drivers for the AIW X800 graphics card I want to use, so I may try the XP drivers.  I would like to use WHS as a DVR and editing work station as well.  Can the 2003 Server (if it is an XP variant) run desktop applications and use a drive that is out of the WHS storage pool?  A SB Audigy2 card seems to be working OK with XP drivers.  I would like the WHS to earn it's keep by also being a productive work station as well as a server, since it may run 24/7 and be gobbling up my 38 cents per KWH electricity.

Some reports on Google mentioned problems with 1.5TB drives and others no problems and have even seen some drive temps. reported in WHS, of course others want to know how to do that.  

I have 8 1.5TB Seagate 5,900 RPM drives on each controller, and they gave great performance with software Raid-0 under W2k Server and XP pro.  So I have high hopes for this storage pile if I can get it running on WHS.  Ideally, I would like to use 2003 Server's software Raid-5 on each controller, if it is available, to maximize the storage space versus WHS's sort of Raid-1 use of the drives.  The drives are mounted in 3 Supermicro CSE-M35T1 racks, with one in a vented drive bay.  I have about 800 DVD's I plan to rip for my home theater server, when I can get around to it.  My concern is whether WHS could cope with 2 9.5TB Raid-5 drives for its storage pool when it wants to deal in a sort of JOBA and Raid 1 manner with the less than 2TB drives it finds.

The learning curve with WHS seems to be about what a Linux server setup may have required.  Linux may be even better if software Raid-5, WHS features, and access for 2000 Pro and 98 (for my older machines) was available.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:29 AM
  • Your best bet would be to review all of the documentation and marketing information you'll find on the Microsoft web site first, because I think you very likely have some unrealistic expectations for what Windows Home Server is intended to be. In particular, it's not designed to be used as a desktop operating system; it's designed to sit in a corner protecting your data.

Now, as for your hardware and your plans for it. First, please don't use RAID 0. RAID 0 is statistically less reliable than the least reliable drive in the array, and is intended only for use in a situation where you either don't care if the data on the array is lost at a moment's notice, or you can easily and quickly recreate the data. RAID in general is, in any case, an unsupported technology for Windows Home Server. You will usually be able to install on a (hardware) RAID array, or use one in your storage pool (subject to limitations), but doing so will significantly complicate recovery scenarios (and even a RAID array can fail; what happens if your controller fails, for example?). Software RAID is completely unsupported and known to cause problems with the Windows Home Server Drive Extender technology; you will not be able to use it. And a "disk drive" (i.e. volume on a RAID array, in your case) over 2 TB will not be fully usable because Windows Home Server uses MBR style partition tables, which are limited to 2 TB.

Drivers: are you attempting to use the 32 bit or the 64 bit drivers? Windows Home Server is a 32 bit operating system, so you can only use 32 bit drivers. Beyond that, have you contacted Supermicro about the problem you're having installing drivers for Windows Server 2003? I have to believe that you would have the same issue with a plain Windows Server 2003 installation that you're having with your Windows Home Server installation...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:48 AM