Constant client backup database errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WHS2011 for probably eight months or so now.  My configuration is quite simple with  two 750GB data drives.  The OS is installed on a separate (160GB) partition on the first data drive.  I am not running any type of RAID, just using the server to share some media files and most importantly to automatically backup our various Windows clients nightly.  The system is built around an Intel D510MO motherboard (4GB RAM) using the built-in SATA controller.

My problem is that, like clockwork, my client backups stop working after 7-10 days due to "errors in the backup database".  There are no useful diagnostics whatsoever from the server as to what these errors are.  Once an error has been flagged in a particular client, the backups are no longer created for that client.  To make matters worse, I recently found out that a client can also not be restored once the database has errors.  There is nothing worse than having a failed hard drive only to learn that a restore is impossible because of database errors.

I have scanned all of my client hard drives for errors and they are clean.  Perhaps more interesting is that my last database error occurred when I was out of town, so there had been NO changes at all made to the clients in question, yet I now once again have database errors.  The only solution is to repair the database which wipes out the old backups.  Once I do this everything works great for 7-10 days and then all of my clients (2xWindows7 64 bit, 1xVista 64 bit, 1xXPPro) one by one start getting database errors.

Is there any way to diagnose the cause of the database errors?  Are there any guides on how to avoid these errors?  The client backup feature is worse than useless as it is now, because I have 100's of GB of backup data at any given time that cannot actually be used to restore failed clients if an error is present.

• Edited by David Stall Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:19 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:19 PM

All replies

• Have you run a surface scan on all your disks rather than just a file level check?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Phil,

Thanks for the reply.  I have run surface scans (chkdsk /r) on the client systems and they have come up clean.  I wondered about disk integrity as well, but I'm not sure I would be getting 7 days of proper backups from all of my systems in that case.  The pattern that I have been seeing is 7-10 days of proper backups followed by backup failures after that.  I have a couple of systems that have not had any user access for weeks that exhibit the same behavior.  I would think those systems have very little if any hard drive changes going on yet they also get corrupted backups.  I think this has to be a WHS problem of some sort.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:29 PM
  • What about your Server disks?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Good suggestion.  I will scan those and see if perhaps I have an issue there.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:45 PM