none
pirated copy RRS feed

• Question

• i am canadian and live in mexico...i have a mexican bought computer,,,it came in spanish and i took it to a local computer store...they said they put a genuine copy of windows xp professional on it...i have had it verified...it is pirated....i want to know if i can buy a copy and have it installed online as we are very isolated and cannot get mail

hope you can help

Sunday, July 16, 2006 10:57 PM

Answers

• Bill,

As far as I know, there is no approved MS vendor that is authorized to offer downloaded copies of genuine XP.

However, if you have a functioning installation of XP Pro right now, and it is showing as nongenuine, if you qualify for and participate in the Genuine Windows Offer (GWO), MS will email you a valid Product Key for Windows XP Pro as part of the Genuine Offer Kit.  Use the genuine Product Key and the Key Updater Utility (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409) to convert your nongenuine installation of XP Pro to genuine.

So the method is slightly different, but the end result is a genuine installation of XP Pro.

The Key Updater utility is not always able to convert a nongenuine installation into a genuine installation if there are problems with corrupted or hacked and cracked files.  If that's the case, you will need to use the physical disc that MS sends you as part of the Kit to do a repair reinstallation.  If receiving mail is problematic, the GWO may not be the thing for you.

Monday, July 17, 2006 1:03 AM
  • You can buy Product Keys online by going to www.microsoft.com/genuine and clicking Validate. If you fail validation, you can buy it there with the Buy Now button.
    Tuesday, July 18, 2006 2:00 AM
  • bill,

Was there any type of error code?

Thanks,

Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:55 PM

All replies

• Bill,

As far as I know, there is no approved MS vendor that is authorized to offer downloaded copies of genuine XP.

However, if you have a functioning installation of XP Pro right now, and it is showing as nongenuine, if you qualify for and participate in the Genuine Windows Offer (GWO), MS will email you a valid Product Key for Windows XP Pro as part of the Genuine Offer Kit.  Use the genuine Product Key and the Key Updater Utility (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409) to convert your nongenuine installation of XP Pro to genuine.

So the method is slightly different, but the end result is a genuine installation of XP Pro.

The Key Updater utility is not always able to convert a nongenuine installation into a genuine installation if there are problems with corrupted or hacked and cracked files.  If that's the case, you will need to use the physical disc that MS sends you as part of the Kit to do a repair reinstallation.  If receiving mail is problematic, the GWO may not be the thing for you.

Monday, July 17, 2006 1:03 AM
  • i am amost there...no errors in my program...but i dont have a product code and cannot continue

please help

thanks

bill mccrea

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:07 AM
  • You can buy Product Keys online by going to www.microsoft.com/genuine and clicking Validate. If you fail validation, you can buy it there with the Buy Now button.
    Tuesday, July 18, 2006 2:00 AM
  • i am still trying to find an answer to my problem...the last fellow that answered didnt read the original or he would have known that his solution wouldnt work...my computer came in spanish..a local computer shop changed it for me to english...i guess he put a pirated copy on...now all i get is an option to buy a copy of the original in spanish...all i want to do is get an english copy or a fix online as i live in a very remote area in mexico and i cannot understand spanish...

still bummed

bill in cabo

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:43 PM
  • Bill:

When you go to the "BUy Now" page, if you look at the bottom bar, you can select your country :)

-phil liu

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 1:46 AM
  • no my problem is not answered as yet...i tried all the solutions you have sent so far.it will only let me proceed so far then it always asks for the product codes which i do not have and have no way of getting...if you keep sending ways i will keep trying...thank you

sincerely

bill

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:18 PM
  • You can buy an english copy online (using the instructions from my previous post) or directly from a genuine retailer.

-phil

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:29 PM
  • thank you phil....i cannot buy it....it keeps telling me there is an error and to try again later...i used all your instructions..for english etc...same thing

bill

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:33 PM
  • bill,

Was there any type of error code?

Thanks,

Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:55 PM