What type of file downloads? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a blackberry 8130 (pearl) and accessed my mesh via the BB Browser (mesh.com). I had no problem accessing my files, however, when I selected an excel file to download (once it was finished) my Blackberry said it didn't recognize the file type. I tried to open i with documents to go and nothing. I copied the file from my Blackberry to my computer and it still wasn't showing up as an Excel file. Although, when I select the file on my PC it does open in excel after giving me a "different format" type message. So my questions are:

1) What type of file is downloaded when selecting "downoad" from my mesh when accessing it via a mobile browser?

2) why doesn't it just download the file as an excel file?

Thanks
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

It looks like this is an issue with Live Mesh on the Blackberry 8130 with the default browser not supporting file downloads.  As you've noticed, the file gets renamed, and thus isn't recognized (though the file contents are actually readable and intact, once the file association is restored).  Unfortunately, we have no workaround at this time.  I will let you know if anything changes, though.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'd passed this on to our developers and they had a couple of follow up questions.  First, was the file name the same after you downloaded it to your Blackberry?  Second, are you able to reproduce this behavior consistently with other files and file types using Office Mobile?

Please let me know and I will communicate your answers to our devs, and continue to follow up with you.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Thanks Ben,

The file name changes to a bunch of letters and numbers (like AHZDRQ3....25 charaters long) It happens with every word and excel file I try to download from my mesh (including word/excel 2007 files). If I copy the file(s) to my computer and try to open them there the message I get it "The file you are trying to open "long random numers&letter" is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that it is not corrupedt and is from a trusted source. Do you want to open the file now?" If I click yes then it does open and things look ok. However, that doesn't work on my phone.

Again, I'm using the Blackberry internet browser to go to the m.mesh.com, login, select the file and click the download link.

Thank you very much for your help and for passing my questions along.

-Chris
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply.  I've passed on the additional information you've provided to our developers, and I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

We appreciate your patience,

Ben.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Hi Chris,

It looks like this is an issue with Live Mesh on the Blackberry 8130 with the default browser not supporting file downloads.  As you've noticed, the file gets renamed, and thus isn't recognized (though the file contents are actually readable and intact, once the file association is restored).  Unfortunately, we have no workaround at this time.  I will let you know if anything changes, though.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Actually, that's great news because it's an easy fix. I just downloaded Opera Mini and was able to download and open the files.

Thanks to you and everyone for their help.

-Chris
    Friday, November 21, 2008 11:58 AM