This device is synchronizing but cannot be remotely accessed. RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Live Mesh on my Windows XP SP3 and have just added my home computer as a device.  But, on the PC graphic there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it.  What does this mean? I'm not getting any error messages and the notifier says my PC is online, but still getting that yellow triangle exclamation.  But, I am getting this notice in Devices, "This device is synchronizing but cannot be remotely accessed."  I can still connect to the Live Desktop though.  Any ideas on what the problem is or is this normal for a single device in the mesh?  Thx.

Nilsjc
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 5:21 PM

Answers

• Jordi.J.Morell said:

I have just had the same problem, the RD enhancement are installed.
    Chasing through the logs  I find this error

Warning - have zero device ID certificates (exact same OS)

Hi,

Unfortunately, the "zero device ID certificates" is a known issue without a good workaround, but please know that we are working very hard to resolve it.  At this time, we can only ask for your patience.

Thanks,

Ben.
    • Marked as answer by Nilsjc Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:18 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:56 PM

All replies

• It simply means that remote desktop through Live Mesh will not work with that computer. Since it says it is synchronizing, everything else should work.
    • Proposed as answer by CobraA1 Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:11 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I have just had the same problem(exact same OS), the RD enhancement are installed.

Warning - have zero device ID certificates
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Jordi.J.Morell said:

I have just had the same problem, the RD enhancement are installed.

Warning - have zero device ID certificates (exact same OS)

Hi,

Unfortunately, the "zero device ID certificates" is a known issue without a good workaround, but please know that we are working very hard to resolve it.  At this time, we can only ask for your patience.

Thanks,

Ben.
    • Marked as answer by Nilsjc Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:18 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Yup, just went through logs also, found...Warning - have zero device ID certificates.
    Thx for the reply, guess I just have to wait for a fix.

Nilsjc
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:23 PM
  • I have the same problem with my XP device (SP2 though).  Syncs but no remote.  My 3 Vista PCs work fine. 

I posted about it months ago here and filed ticket and it was never addressed. We are moving to Vista where I work so hopefully the problem will just go away.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:27 PM
  • I am seeing the same problem.  Using XP Sp3.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 5:00 AM
  • I am also experiencing the exact same problem - I am running Windows XP SP3
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Just to follow-up, I'm still getting the message, even after the update.

Nils
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Nilsjc said:

Just to follow-up, I'm still getting the message, even after the update.

Nils

Hi Nils,

Unfortunately, the most recent update was just a quick fix to the remote desktop component of the Live Mesh software, meant to address a related, but different issue.  We hope to be able to resolve the issue that you've reported soon.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Ben.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Just to mention, I've traced my post-update issues to the same "zero device ID certificates" notation in my logs. However, I'm running on Vista 32-bit, with enhancements installed. Just wanted to add a data point to the XP SP3 posts.

The problem persists even after a complete uninstall, purge of all Live Mesh related files and registry entries and a reinstall.

It also occurs only on my 32-bit machine. My Vista 64-bit installation had this problem initially but eventually succombed to an uninstall/reinstall and now seems not to show the error message. Instead, it shows "Service has retrieved 1 certificates from PassportDeviceID environment."

Both of my systems are maintained equally well and tend to have similar software as far as anything related to connectivity. So, I'm not sure why one is problematic and the other is not.

David
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Hi David,

We are still working on determining exactly what causes this problem and how best to fix it.  Unfortunately, as you've noticed, it can happen on one system and not on another, very similar system.  It can also start (and even sometimes go away) suddenly.  But we do believe we've made substantial progress on this, and hope to have it fixed very soon.

Thank you for the additional report.  I've made a note of that for our developers.

Ben.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 5:27 PM
  • I've also now submitted the logs from the problematic machine.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I've also just discovered that the video mirror driver seems not to have installed on the problematic machine. Neither Device Manager nor the registry show it. So, perhaps the root of the issue is something preventing this driver installation in the latest update? The check box for Live Mesh enhancements was checked during installation and I did get a UAC prompt when Remote Desktop enhancements attempted to install.

However, I'm wondering if, in my case, the trouble is that I did this updating and uninstalling/reinstalling all remotely, via Vista's regular Remote Desktop. Can it be that running a system in remote mode this way would interfere with full and correct updating or installation of Live Mesh? If so, I'll have to get myself to the machine physically (it's a 20 min drive from here) and repeat everything in person.

David
    Monday, October 13, 2008 10:31 PM
  • This has now been fixed, by the latest update.  Thanks!

Nilsjc
    Monday, November 3, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Did this problem get reintroduced today?  I suddenly have two of my 5 machines giving this problem.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Yeah.  This seemed to occur again after the latest Windows Live updates (released today) are applied.    I wouldn't update (not sure if I can roll back) if you want Remote Desktop to be working...
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:19 AM
  •  YMMV, but this morning it is working on all machines again...without any reboots.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:09 PM
  • I have the same issue on 64-bit Vista Ultimate. Initially, remote desktop access wasn't working, but then it suddenly started working one day and worked for a couple of weeks. Then it stopped working yesterday just as suddenly. I tried everything, including uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, rebooting, and even setting ProxyServer and ProxyEnable for System, LocalService, and NetworkService. I see the following in my log file:

2009-04-23 07:20:37.387 PID:0xa74 TID:0xe4c Connection to RAG will be retried after 60 secconds
    2009-04-23 07:21:38.227 PID:0xa74 TID:0xb30 Warning - have zero device ID certificates
    2009-04-23 07:21:38.242 PID:0xa74 TID:0xe4c Refreshed proxy list and will use proxy :0
    2009-04-23 07:21:38.242 PID:0xa74 TID:0xe4c Connection to RAG will be retried after 187 secconds

At one point, I had C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\production\ppcrlconfig.dll, which I deleted and rebooted. I don't have it any more, but it still doesn't work.

I am running version 0.9.3424.31. Is there any workaround at all, even if it is complicated? Is it trying to access the Internet without using a proxy server?

Thanks!
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:42 AM
  • Anon2009, please file a bug with your logs for this issue:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:16 PM
  • I have some issue. Live mesh Version 0.9.4014.7 installed on XP sp3.

Connection to RAG will be retried after 224 secconds

Is there workaround or Fix for this issue?

On windows 7 works fine

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:50 AM
  • I have some issue. Live mesh Version 0.9.4014.7 installed on XP sp3.

Connection to RAG will be retried after 224 secconds

Is there workaround or Fix for this issue?

On windows 7 works fine

please file a bug with your logs for this issue:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:51 PM
  • I am having this same issue. Live mesh installs and the folders synch fine so no problem with live desktop however when I add the device in win7 64, it shows as online but with the yellow error triangle and I can't click on connect(greyed out) on the app off my taskbar or when I try to access it via live mesh on the web, connect button is greyed out there too.

Combed through the logs but there were no visible errors.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:56 AM
  • I'll note that I see this frequently of late, too. All I can tell you is that submitting a bug report may get it looked at while we await the next version of the beta.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:06 PM