WHS only wants to do a restore. I want to do a clean install RRS feed

• Question

• I built my own server a couple of months back and during the addition of some bad storage drives I somehow scrambled my installation.  I have the full CD with SP3 and have been trying to wipe clean and do a full reinstall from scratch.  The software will not allow me to do it.  I have formatted the drive and I still cannot get an option to do a clean install.  Am I missing something (I am sure it is so).  I was not overly happy with the job I did setting up initially so I will not be bothered by the extra time and effort I put into setting it up.  I am pretty new to WHS so I have a lot to learn.  I had not yet made a back up image as I was trying to find my way around before I loaded this thing up and let it fly.  For now, all data is safe on the individual drives, and I will add a few new drives to the pool and start transferring files to the server once I figure out this problem. 

Thanks in advance for any help.  I know it is probably something rather simple I am not seeing. 

Rob

Monday, December 6, 2010 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,
    a clean install is called a new installation, the other method a server reinstallation. (Btw. you should have a DVD, a CD would not be the right medium.)

Are you sure, that there is not such little triangle to get the drop down list of options?
    You could always try also to empty the disks first (i.e. by attaching to another system and deleting the volume(s).

Or only attach the disk which you plan to use as system disk and add the other disks later.

Best greetngs from (currently) Poland
    Olaf

Monday, December 6, 2010 9:20 PM