none
Please enable me to REMOVE THREADS from [My] THREADS list RRS feed

• Question

• When I click "Matthew Slyman's threads", I see a list of all the threads I've commented on. There are many I just don't care about any more, and seeing them on this list makes it impossible to effectively keep track of the ones I do care about.

Will you please implement a feature for removing threads from this list that I no longer care about?

Matthew Slyman M.A. (Camb.)
    Monday, October 10, 2011 11:02 AM

All replies

• That list includes all threads you have posted to. No plans to let users selectively remove items.  If you want a custom list of individual thread urls you care about, you could set an alert, that way your My Alerts would just be a list you care about.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:15 AM
  • There needs to be some mechanism to have filtering in My Threads.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:14 AM
  • There needs to be some mechanism to have filtering in My Threads.

That one does have an RSS feed but unsubscribed it seems to be limited to 40 items.  So you would have to subscribe and cache it.   Then you could filter it.

---

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:58 AM
  • That list includes all threads you have posted to. No plans to let users selectively remove items.  If you want a custom list of individual thread urls you care about, you could set an alert, that way your My Alerts would just be a list you care about.

I'm a little bit shocked by your reply. 

Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black. (Quoted from Henry Ford, who changed it when Ford was almost bankrupt)

I've not the idea that this is general Microsoft policy?

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:18 PM

I'm a little bit shocked by your reply. 

Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black. (Quoted from Henry Ford, who changed it when Ford was almost bankrupt)

I've not the idea that this is general Microsoft policy?

Success
    Cor

Cor,

Is that last question genuine? If so, the answer is "no." And I think the perspective is less about forcing people and more about transparency and driving full data. It's the same reason why accounts cannot be deleted.

Brent was trying to summarize that perspective briefly, but that's very hard to do in a few words on a forum. So my summary also isn't complete. I'm trying to answer the question honestly and clarify the perspective behind the decision, but if I'm unknowingly entering an argument, then I apologize and bow out early.

Also, I'll be the first to admit that this forum has a strange dynamic, since we ask for feedback and then explain that decisions are "by design". It makes more sense in the Issues forum. Here it seems like the default setting should be on Discussion/comment instead of on Question, since it's really about getting your voice heard rather than submitting a bug and getting "official" feedback.

Naomi has an excellent point about how valuable filtering features would be, and Robert has an interesting "band-aid" solution. Robert, you really amaze me with some of the fantastic workarounds you come up with! (For those who track Robert's post, he does this A LOT.)

Thanks everyone!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, February 6, 2012 6:56 PM
  • I don't subscribe to forums through RSS. I need to have these facilities along with 'My Favorites' inside the forum's software (web interface) I am using.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Monday, February 6, 2012 7:14 PM
  • I don't subscribe to forums through RSS. I need to have these facilities along with 'My Favorites' inside the forum's software (web interface) I am using.

For some related technique check out the remarkable work by poster mystifeid  in a parallel thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/a41b36a8-803d-4a12-95fe-95265b7ba5c5

Notice the claim that the 40 post limit has been circumvented?

the gadget is no longer limited to viewing the first 40 threads in a forum

BTW when you use IE you do see RSS through your browser and that links directly to the forum posts.   Using the Gadget idea I suspect they would be just as accessible.  I actually still have to try it myself and hopefully understand it better.   ;  )

---

Monday, February 6, 2012 11:09 PM