Error installing new connector software on Win7 after installing PP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an EX470. On my desktop which is running Win 7 32bit, installed last week, before with PP2 everything worked great Then after installing PP3, the old connector software said there was new connector software and offered to install it for me. No joy!. It didn't install, and stuck me in an endless cycle of "new software installed, please reboot". Which I tried 3 or 4 times. In any case, now here is where I am at.

Rebooted the home server. Runing great with my netbook, Win 7 home premium. My desktop with Win 7 Ultimate won't install the connector software.

So, removed the HP Media Smart Software, went to http://"server":55000, and said to install the new connector software. Everything was fine on the HP Media Smart install, and started fine to install the new connector software. But I then got this error:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2908. <ok>"

I have to click OK, 8 times to clear it. And then the following dialog comes up:

"An error occurred durin the installation of assembly "Microsoft.HomeServer.Archive.Common,version="6.0.0.0", culture="neutral",publicKeyToken="31BF3856AD364E35",processorArchitecture="MSIL". Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8002802F"

I've spent the morning with HP Media Smart tech support and they say it isn't their problem, and to find a solution online (which I didn't find) or contact MS Tech support. So I thought I would post to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks

Craig

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:24 PM

Answers

• Ok, I spent 2 days with MS Network Support. They were great, but we did not come to a good conclusion on my problem. The conclusion was that I has some files or data that were corrupted causing the error to occur. We tried many solutions to the problem, but none of them worked. So the ultimate suggestion was to reinstall Win 7, which I did. That solved the problem, and actually was OK by me as it gave me an opportunity to move to Win 7 64bit, rather than the upgrade to 32bit. So while I don't like to have to reinstall as a solution, the bottom line is I am back up and working with the WHS.

Craig
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 9:21 AM

All replies

• Suggest doing a "chkdsk /r /f" on all your drives. If the connector software is damaged, you may need to do a "server reinstall" (which will not delete your data, just restore the OS)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Thanks Evaders99. I did the chkdsk on my drivers, no problems there. Also, I successfully installed the connector software on my win 7 netbook, so connector software is fine.

What do you think the next step might be?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:03 AM
  • OK I have a similar problem.
    I checked my daughters Latidude XT Win 7 PC... It has an endless error where where it says updating the Connect software - Restart? I restart the tablet and it updates again and asks me to restart... endlessly.

This time I uninstalled Connector SW from the Control Panel. Now when I install the connector SW we see the real reason ... Same error as Craig gets.

Very odd. All our other w7 PCs update and connect fine.

Rob Chandler http://Helpware.net
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:09 AM
  • Ok, I spent 2 days with MS Network Support. They were great, but we did not come to a good conclusion on my problem. The conclusion was that I has some files or data that were corrupted causing the error to occur. We tried many solutions to the problem, but none of them worked. So the ultimate suggestion was to reinstall Win 7, which I did. That solved the problem, and actually was OK by me as it gave me an opportunity to move to Win 7 64bit, rather than the upgrade to 32bit. So while I don't like to have to reinstall as a solution, the bottom line is I am back up and working with the WHS.

Craig
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 9:21 AM
  • So just for the record... 

I went to my XP machine and logged into the WHS UI. To my surprise I found I had full control over my Win7 settings on that machine.

Weird. But it worked.

Rob Chandler http://Helpware.net
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:51 AM