instant messaging via crm? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, how extensively can IM capability be integrated into CRM?  I see that an IM can be opened for users via CRM "Email Messages."  The colored circle to the left of the user name can be clicked to pop open a window with an IM icon.

However, I was wondering how extensively this colored circle can be implemented for users in other areas of CRM?  For example, can the colored circle be made available on the user form or next to the user names in user search results?  What about for simple user lookup associations on other entities?  Also are there any differences in IM capability between CRM 2011 and CRM 2013?
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:34 AM

All replies

• All that icon is, is a connection to Lync through the Lync IE plugin. There's really no other integration going on there. To turn that on for any user/contact, make sure to enable "presence" on an entity for that icon to show up.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Hi Wayne - What do you mean by "enable presence" for an entity?  I looked for this setting through the customization for the User entity and did not find it.  I also looked for this setting on a specific User in the User form and did not find it.  Am I overlooking this setting in 2011 or does this setting only exist in 2013?

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:57 PM
  • The enable presence is system settings. It's available under Settings > Administration > System Settings > Set the IM presence option
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:25 AM