Media Center not seeing musice files after installing media connect RRS feed

• Question

• I looked but didn't see a post on this specific issue.  After a little procrastination, I finally installed Windows Media Connect on my Vista Media Center Machine (Home Premium version).  Afterwards, WMP immediately saw and displayed all of the music on the WHS, but for some reason, I can't seem to get the Media Center interface to pick it up as well.  I checked library settings, and it shows the folders that are shared from the WHS.  Any ideas?  I am guessing someone will tell me I probably need to post this in the Media Center thread and not WHS ... :-)  But I am hoping you've seen this before and I am making some simple error ...  Steps I have already tried are:

- rebooting the media center
    - deleting the WMP library file and letting it recreate
    - Stopping then restarting monitoring of the relevant folders

Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:49 AM

All replies

• I looked but didn't see a post on this specific issue.  After a little procrastination, I finally installed Windows Media Connect on my Vista Media Center Machine (Home Premium version).

I assume you mean Windows Media Center Connector (the app that is included with PP2 for WHS)?  (Windows Media Connect is a service that runs on WHS.)

Afterwards, WMP immediately saw and displayed all of the music on the WHS, but for some reason, I can't seem to get the Media Center interface to pick it up as well.  I checked library settings, and it shows the folders that are shared from the WHS.  Any ideas?  I am guessing someone will tell me I probably need to post this in the Media Center thread and not WHS ... :-)  But I am hoping you've seen this before and I am making some simple error ...  Steps I have already tried are:

- rebooting the media center
    - deleting the WMP library file and letting it recreate
    - Stopping then restarting monitoring of the relevant folders
    I had some weird issue the first time I installed the MC Connector software on 7 (I forgot what it was now).  I installed it a second time and it worked.  You might try installing it again (then reboot both client and server just for good measure).
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 2:56 PM
  • OK - I will give that a try and report back ...
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:31 PM
  • OK - I tried it and still no dice.  It just doesn't seem to want to update.  Is it possible there is some MEdia Center corruption?  Also, just to double check, should i be adding my WHS folders to the library's list of folders to watch with WHS media connector installed or could that be cretaing the conflict?

Thanks again in advance for your advice ...
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 9:01 PM
  • OK - I tried it and still no dice.  It just doesn't seem to want to update.  Is it possible there is some MEdia Center corruption?

Anything is possible.  :)  All I can tell you is I'm running 7 and it's working fine for me now.

Also, just to double check, should i be adding my WHS folders to the library's list of folders to watch with WHS media connector installed or could that be cretaing the conflict?

It should be automatic (it was for me, but I guess it could be 7 only that does that).

Thanks again in advance for your advice ...

Monday, August 10, 2009 6:09 AM
  • I'm still working through this one.  I went to another computer and looked at the music files being shared there and got file conflict errors ... I did just resolve one connectivity issue through disabling a firewall I had installed, but this still seems to be a problem (I know, I'm a mess).  Any additional direction would be appreciated.
    g
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:58 PM
  • I'm still working through this one.  I went to another computer and looked at the music files being shared there and got file conflict errors ... I did just resolve one connectivity issue through disabling a firewall I had installed, but this still seems to be a problem (I know, I'm a mess).  Any additional direction would be appreciated.
    g

The only other suggestion I can offer at this point is (if you have a spare hard drive or a VM app) do a new install of your client OS, then install the both Connector software apps on it and see if it works.  If it does, then you know your problem is with your clients.  If it doesn't, the problem is with your server.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:31 PM