locked
Connector CD installation fails RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have been trying unsuccessfully to connect a PC to the home server. Having read through the forums I have seen that others have had this problem and resolved it, I am however still having no success. I can see the server via My Network places, and access the drives and shared folders. So I know it is on the network. During the connector installation I get to the point where it asks me for a password and the I get the failure.

    I get an error saying an unknown network error has occured.

    I have added my server's IP to the hosts file. I have ensured the necessary services are running.

    Anyone have any further ideas on how I can get this to work. I am a little surprised that this is so difficult as I would have imangined this would be one of the easiest steps in the process.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Phil
    Monday, May 28, 2007 10:53 AM

Answers

  • You don't say what OS is on the client but I think there's something in the release notes about some known problems with XP Clients and the CD.  If you can access the public folders on the Server, try running setup from "\\<server name>\software\Home Server Connector Software"
    Monday, June 4, 2007 8:38 PM

All replies

  • What's the error message and which password are you using, the local accounts or the server admin? Also do you have the account set up on the server?

     

    Gordon

    Monday, May 28, 2007 12:42 PM
  • I got the same error and it turned out to be a dns problem. chekc your dns settings on the client computers and the server in my case I had my server setup for a statci IP and didn't enter the dns settings once I corrected that the connector software installed

     

    -Mike

    Monday, May 28, 2007 4:33 PM
  • Gordon,

     

    I have tried both, however I assume the correct one is the Server Admin account. in any case for testing purposes I have used the same one.

     

    The error I get after inputting the password is, "an unkonwn network error occured"

     

    Thanks,

     

    Phil

    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:31 PM
  • Mike,

     

    Thanks, I will try this. Just so I am clear, I should jsut make sure the DNS settings are the same on both the server and client correct?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Phil

    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:33 PM
  • yes

     

    in my case my dns server is my router (192.168.1.1)  so I set the dns settings on all systems to that and didn't have any more problems installing the connector software

     

    -Mike

    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:22 PM
  • Mike I tried this and am still having no success. Any more ideas anyone.

    Phil
    Monday, June 4, 2007 8:18 PM
  • You don't say what OS is on the client but I think there's something in the release notes about some known problems with XP Clients and the CD.  If you can access the public folders on the Server, try running setup from "\\<server name>\software\Home Server Connector Software"
    Monday, June 4, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Also if you are installing the Connector CD for the client, make sure you remove the old Connector of the client before installing the Connector software.
    Monday, June 4, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Phil,

     

    Give the troubleshooting steps in this post a try: http://blogs.msdn.com/eldar/archive/2007/04/28/windows-home-server-client-join-troubleshoooting-hints.aspx

     

    Thanks,


    C

    Monday, June 4, 2007 10:48 PM
    Answerer
  • you must log on localy whit your administrator account en then install the connector that solfs it for me.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 1:03 PM
  • Connecting from the software on the server worked great. Thanks for that hint. I guess the problem was in the cd.

    Phil
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:44 AM
  • I had a similar issue getting the connector software installed and it failed during the password handshake. As a last ditch effort I unplugged my router from the internet but left all internal connections intact. It worked! However, when I plugged back in, I couldn’t connect to the server with the connector software anymore. When I tried to connect to the web address of the WHS it would get resolved at Open DNS.  I had put the Open DNS addresses in my router and IPv4 DNS properties to speed up connections. I removed them from both to return them to a default state but still no dice. Finally I flushed the nbt cache from the command line “nbtcache –R” and bingo it worked. I hope this helps some of you because it took me all day to figure it out…..

    Mike
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 7:11 PM