"Consumer Support Technician" XP/Vista via e-Learning. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I am Brand New , seeking effective support/advice about online study path to achive
    certification MCST to include expected total cost of both materials and exams.

I'd like to begin if possible with self paced XP training and then Vista.

My goal is to provide professional level consumer support for stand alone systems running XP and/or Vista.

I have found the following link clear enough, yet have had difficulty determining what materials
    are currently offered on line, is pending availability or has been discontinued, and if any of it is offered free, or for a set cost.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/start/start-career-supp-tech.aspx

Thank you for your attention.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:03 AM

Answers

• Given WinXP's "age" and the lack of acceptance of Vista, you might want to consider the MCITP Enterprise Desktop Administrator - Windows 7 (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsclient.aspx#tab3).  It's two courses - 70-680 and 70-686 (not released yet).

The only study book available for 70-680 is the MS Press book (which isn't all that bad).  You'd definitely want a computer running Windows 7 Ultimate to use for the practice exercises.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:54 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Scotty,

I have this certification.

Whilst Charles suggestions are valid, they are business orientated certifications, and if you are looking at Consumer Support Technician, this more than likely means you are a consumer facing IT support person (possibly setting up or already having your own IT Support company). His assertation that there is a lack of reception for Vista is invalid in a consumer environment. 90% of the support calls my own company has had over the last two years have been related to vista upgrading, or involving problems with Vista computers. It should be noted that these were not OS problems, generally spyware.

The percieved "lack of uptake" of Vista is mostly a press thing. As an operating system it still sold millions of copies in the consumer zone, and you will, for many years to come, get support calls from consumers with Vista computers. Certainly every computer I have sold since Vistas release has been a Vista machine.

I would fully recommend this certification if you intend to be consumer facing. It covers elements of the operating system which are not relevant and therefore not included or just glossed over in the business certifications (I have both Consumer Support and Enterprise Support). For Consumer Support you will need to take the following exams:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-620&locale=en-us

This will get you your first MCTS in Vista Client Configuration. This certification is equally valid in the business zone as in the consumer zone. You will find the corresponding Microsoft Press book for this exam very helpful. There is a free test CD in the back of the book, which I always maintain are a very valuable learning resource. You can also buy individual or sets of elearning courses from www.microsoftelearning.com

Once you've achieved this certification then look to achieve your MCITP by taking the following exam:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-623&locale=en-us

I studied for and passed first time entirely using the MS Press book.

Good luck and I hope I have been of help.

Brian

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast, or by listening to the show as it airs on the third Wednesday of every month at 4pm (London Time)on www.slinky.fm

• Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:20 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:19 PM

All replies

• thanks for the feed back
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Given WinXP's "age" and the lack of acceptance of Vista, you might want to consider the MCITP Enterprise Desktop Administrator - Windows 7 (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsclient.aspx#tab3).  It's two courses - 70-680 and 70-686 (not released yet).

The only study book available for 70-680 is the MS Press book (which isn't all that bad).  You'd definitely want a computer running Windows 7 Ultimate to use for the practice exercises.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:26 PM
    Answerer
  • question just past 70- 680 which is 7  I 'm real close to passing  620 which is vista looking to work as help desk  or  a feild service tech any body have any ideas

Saturday, December 5, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Given the lack of reception of Vista, you might want to reconsider and wait until 70-686 (Windows 7 Desktop Administration) is release later this year or early next.  Since you've passed 70-680, the addition of 70-686 would lead to the MCITP Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 6:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Scotty,

I have this certification.

Whilst Charles suggestions are valid, they are business orientated certifications, and if you are looking at Consumer Support Technician, this more than likely means you are a consumer facing IT support person (possibly setting up or already having your own IT Support company). His assertation that there is a lack of reception for Vista is invalid in a consumer environment. 90% of the support calls my own company has had over the last two years have been related to vista upgrading, or involving problems with Vista computers. It should be noted that these were not OS problems, generally spyware.

The percieved "lack of uptake" of Vista is mostly a press thing. As an operating system it still sold millions of copies in the consumer zone, and you will, for many years to come, get support calls from consumers with Vista computers. Certainly every computer I have sold since Vistas release has been a Vista machine.

I would fully recommend this certification if you intend to be consumer facing. It covers elements of the operating system which are not relevant and therefore not included or just glossed over in the business certifications (I have both Consumer Support and Enterprise Support). For Consumer Support you will need to take the following exams:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-620&locale=en-us

This will get you your first MCTS in Vista Client Configuration. This certification is equally valid in the business zone as in the consumer zone. You will find the corresponding Microsoft Press book for this exam very helpful. There is a free test CD in the back of the book, which I always maintain are a very valuable learning resource. You can also buy individual or sets of elearning courses from www.microsoftelearning.com

Once you've achieved this certification then look to achieve your MCITP by taking the following exam:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-623&locale=en-us

I studied for and passed first time entirely using the MS Press book.

Good luck and I hope I have been of help.

Brian

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast, or by listening to the show as it airs on the third Wednesday of every month at 4pm (London Time)on www.slinky.fm

• Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:20 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:19 PM