Windows Server 2003 Eval expired! How do I fix that? RRS feed

• Question

• I powered my whs machine down to add memory. When I started it back up and attempted to log in to check on a few things I got a message that said the evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003 had expired and to install a licensed copy. So what do I do now?
    Friday, June 1, 2007 1:45 PM

Answers

• Once you trigger the time bomb in the software (and changing the system clock that way is certainly a good candidate), there is no way to recover. This is, I'm quite certain, by design. Smile

Your only options are reinstalling with a new license key, and waiting for RC1, then reinstalling with a new license key. I would wait, if I were you.
    Friday, June 1, 2007 6:27 PM

All replies

• Is it possible that your system date was changed during the installation? Maybe you did a CMOS reset?

Your best bet is to wait for RC1 now. Hopefully we'll be getting that soon.
    Friday, June 1, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Yes, CMOS reset was needed per bios upgrade instructions. Unfortunately, putting system date back to correct date did not fix the problem. I guess I've no choice but to wait for RC1. Thanks! I'm also getting the 0 days remaining message on client machines. I can't get to the console, just progress bar runs continuously. 

Friday, June 1, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Once you trigger the time bomb in the software (and changing the system clock that way is certainly a good candidate), there is no way to recover. This is, I'm quite certain, by design. Smile

Your only options are reinstalling with a new license key, and waiting for RC1, then reinstalling with a new license key. I would wait, if I were you.
    Friday, June 1, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Same problem on my system (from the last thread) though I needed to clear the CMOS for a case switch... the same problem.

I've already resigned to that this can't be fixed in the CTP, and have started to move my data off of the drives.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in future builds... timebombs should never assume that the CMOS is reading the time right, and then vaporize an install because of an error that the timesync server would fix right after login.
    Friday, June 1, 2007 6:37 PM