Visual Explorer and Images RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to show a Resource's associated image file in its node in the Visual Explorer (as in the Microsoft Academic Search Visual Explorer)? If it's not possible then which part of the code should I look at to accomplish this?

Is it possible to define in Zentity the Visual Explorer's edges weight (as in the Microsoft Academic Search Visual Explorer)?. And again, if it's not possible then which part of the code should I look at to accomplish this?

B.T.W. Is Visual Explorer (or GuanxiMap) an open source project?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks again for your post. Please see the answer to your query below

<<
    Is it possible to define in Zentity the Visual Explorer's edges weight (as in the Microsoft Academic Search Visual Explorer)?. And again, if it's not possible then which part of the code should I look at to accomplish this?
    >>

No, it’s not possible to modify the edge thickness. If you want to modify you can do so, as Zentity is open source, in the Zentity.VisualExplorer.Config.cs file

I will get back to on other queries.

-Regards

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Hi Kalnemi, thanks for your answer. Could you please answer the other two questions? And one more thing : It seems that the Zentity.VisualExplorer.Config.cs file allows you to define the thickness of all the edges (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I want to define the thickness of the edges dinamically, is that possible with the provided GuanxiMap implementation? And if it's possible where should I look for a little bit of documentation on Zentity's usage of the GuanxiMap (or EntityCube?) code?
    Monday, July 4, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Hi Santiago,

If you want to change the thickness of the edge dynamically you can do so in 2 ways, depending upon the scenario.

The first method is to move the edge thickness in the config file and get it from the config file wherever necessary. The other way of doing this, fully in code, is to remove the const keyword.

I will provide you the answers of the other 2 queries next.

-Regards

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Hi Santiago,

It is possible to associate an image file with the node in the Visual Explorer however it requires some enhancement in the code.

You will have make the change in the method GetVisualExplorerGraphByResourceId at ..\Zentity.Web.UI.Explorer\Services\VisualExplorerHelper.cs.

You will have to set the ImageUrl property of the Guanxi Node object before adding the node to associate the image file.

And yes the GuanxiMap is a free for public use and is provided by the Microsoft Research like this product. Please follow the given URL for more details.

http://entitycube.research.microsoft.com/readme.htm

-Regards

• Proposed as answer by Kalnemi Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Hi Kalnemi,

I can't seem to find the VisualExplorerHelper.cs file, Where would I be able to find the file?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hi Yong,

Please follow the given path.

1)      Open the Zentity Solution in the Visual Studio

2)      Expand Zentity Applications

3)      Exapnd Zentity.Web.UI.Explorer

4)      Expand Services, you will get the required source file

-Regards

• Proposed as answer by Kalnemi Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:20 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:20 AM
  • Hi Kalnemi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have since tried to edit the code using the Zentity source code package but am having errors deploying the solution.

Some questions with regards to this:

1) Do I have to be online in order to debug this solution ? (I'm working offline thus I'm receiving the unable to connect to server error)

2) There are missing dll files or reference error within the bin folder in most of the Zentity components. I have since manually added the dll to this folders but encounter further errors instead.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Hi Yong,

To start working with the Zentity source code you need the Zentity Onboarding Guide. This guide will guide you in step by step manner to download and install all the dependencies and locate its references.

Also, it will provide you the links from where you can download the respective SDKs. Once every needed things are downloaded you don’t need to be online to work with the code.

Please let me know in case you need further assistance in working with the code.

-Regards

• Proposed as answer by Kalnemi Monday, July 11, 2011 8:07 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Hi Kalnemi,

Thanks for the reply ! I have managed to get all of the source code to build and installed on my computer without errors.

(That is with abit of tweaking to some of the directory paths and references path)

I'm now looking into this problem with the execution of one of powershell script command :

. ./Zentity-ConfigureDataModel.ps1

"Add-ZentityServiceToConfig : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'serviceUri' because it is an empty string.
    At C:\Program Files (x86)\Zentity\PowerShell scripts\Common.ps1:218 char:29
    +         Add-ZentityServiceToConfig <<<<  "UserPrincipalName" $serviceConfig.Client.Endpoints[0].Identity.UserPrincipa
    lName.Value
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Add-ZentityServiceToConfig], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,Add-ZentityServiceToConfig"

Any advice to this will be good. Thanks !

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Hi Kalnemi,

I've deployed the solution and installed the Zentity software.

I'm still unable to display image on the Visual Explorer.

Any advice?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Hi Yong,

You need to debug (attach to process) and look for any issue. I am sorry, but I cannot suggest you precisely.

You may check for the following points apart from few others

1)      Installer is placing the image in a correct directory.

2)      It has sufficient privilege to the given folder.

-Regards

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Hi Yong, could you please tell us:

What you tried?

What did you store in the imageURL variable for each node?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Hi Kalmeni and Santiago,

thanks for the reply. These are the steps I did (with reference to the onboarding guide):

1) Pointed to the necessary reference files.

2) Added in the following to the method GetVisualExplorerGraphByResourceId :

node.ImageUrl = "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Zentity\\Samples\\US Presidents Sample\\PresidentDataImport\\Images";

(I'm working on the USPresident sample demo, thus I pointed my Url there)

Or am I suppose to copy the images I need from there to this location and point the ImageUrl to here instead:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zentity\ZentityWebSite\VisualExplorer\images

All solutions were build without errors and installed properly.

Any enlightement would be great ! Thanks.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Hi,

Has anyone gotten any solution to this? I noticed that Yong Yeow is pointing the ImageUrl to the folder containing his images. Is this correct?

If not, should it be pointing to the image url directly? If so, how will the each individual node be able to know which image belongs to it?

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:10 AM
  • You may add this code in the GetVisualExplorerGraphByResourceId() in the ..\Zentity.Web.UI.Explorer\Services\VisualExplorerHelper.cs class to display the image.

System.Reflection.PropertyInfo imageProperty = resource.GetType().GetProperty("Uri");

if (imageProperty != null)

{

if (imageProperty.GetValue(resource, null) != null)

{

node.ImageUrl = imageProperty.GetValue(resource, null).ToString();

}

}

-Regards

• Proposed as answer by Kalnemi Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried the codes above and it still doesn't display the USPresident sample images on the visual explorer. I went to the dashboard and it says the resource cannot be found or is deleted. Which I beleive couldnt be the case as I am able to see it on the PivotCollection view properly.

Any help will be good, thanks !

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

Set the node Imageurl to the associated image of the resource. You need to work on how you are setting the resource uri property. Below is a sample code modified in GetVisualExplorerGraphByResourceId()in the..\Zentity.Web.UI.Explorer\Services\VisualExplorerHelper.cs class with a static image.

Node node = new Node();
                        node.Id = resourceItem.Id.ToString();
                        node.Name = "Abhishek Singh";
                        node.DisplayName = resourceItem.Title;
                        node.Scale = 1.0 - (0.5 * ((level + 1) / MAXDEPTHCOUNTER));
                        node.ImageUrl = "http://officeimg.vo.msecnd.net/en-us/images/sports-equipment-football-helmet-MH900412532.jpg";

• Proposed as answer by Kalnemi Monday, October 31, 2011 7:44 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 7:44 AM