none
beginning MCTS certification path, very confused! RRS feed

• Question

• Just got approved for some MCTS ceritication training.  They had suggested I go for these:

MCTS: .Net Framework 3.5, ASP.NET Applications (exams 70-562 then 70-536) and then MCTS: .Net Framework 3.5, ADO.NET Applications (exma 70-561)

I started taking some classes related to these, and I'm concerned as I do not know C#.  I have no problem with programming concepts but it's just the actual c# syntax I am not familiar with.  My background is a programmer/analyst, but no c# - (just ancient languages).  I asked them if there was  pre-requisite of knowing c# (or vb for that fact) and they said no.

Any thoughts / opinions?

Thx.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:57 PM

Answers

• I notice most the training books show code in VB and C# so you may want to talk with a representative before you sign up and/or pay for any new training. I would be 100% sure that the courses you plan on taking require no C# experience first. Or maybe look at MS website to see if you can answer your own question. Most of the time they will list who/what the candidates should have under their belts before taking certain courses.

Good luck

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

As Damius said, most of the materials provide VB as well as C#. I'm not a C# guy myself but VB and when i followed the classes i told my instructor i am a VB guy and not a C# guy so he had to explain both ways for me. I was fortunate enough to be taught by an MCT who kew both laguages very well. After discussing the languages with him he gave me some interesting pointers and when you see the greater picture you'll see that there are quit some similarities in both languages which makes programming a lot easier. My advice: be clear to the instructor what you expect and tell him/her that. When taking the exam you do get the option to choose between the two languages. Be carefull though once you've made the choice there's no going back.

Nice cert. track to follow btw ;-)

Maurice

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:18 PM

All replies

• I notice most the training books show code in VB and C# so you may want to talk with a representative before you sign up and/or pay for any new training. I would be 100% sure that the courses you plan on taking require no C# experience first. Or maybe look at MS website to see if you can answer your own question. Most of the time they will list who/what the candidates should have under their belts before taking certain courses.

Good luck

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

As Damius said, most of the materials provide VB as well as C#. I'm not a C# guy myself but VB and when i followed the classes i told my instructor i am a VB guy and not a C# guy so he had to explain both ways for me. I was fortunate enough to be taught by an MCT who kew both laguages very well. After discussing the languages with him he gave me some interesting pointers and when you see the greater picture you'll see that there are quit some similarities in both languages which makes programming a lot easier. My advice: be clear to the instructor what you expect and tell him/her that. When taking the exam you do get the option to choose between the two languages. Be carefull though once you've made the choice there's no going back.

Nice cert. track to follow btw ;-)

Maurice

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Hi Damius,

You can choose the VB.NET if you want. But I think C# is more accepted. On the other hand, they are very similar just the syntax is different since you will be using the .NET Framework.

During the exams, you can choose either to continue with C# or VB.NET.

So that is your choose.

SQL Server and T-SQL Tutorials
    My Personal Site
    Our true mentor in life is science
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:15 AM
  • I was just trying to give the original poster a heads up before he pays for training courses in something he has no experience in.

If he is a VB guy then it sounds like learning C# should not be that difficult. (according to Maurice)

good luck

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:45 PM