WHS2011 usage RRS feed

• Question

• I have been looking into some options for a NAS or Home Server.  The main reason I am looking for something is I would to be able to create folders for each member of my family and a shared folder for all of us, that can be a mapped network drive.  Most of what I have been seeing on WHS2011 is for backups and streaming media, is what I am looking for possible?

Also, I have come across a few article about also using WHS2011 as a web hosting platform using Apache & MySQL.  Is this also true for IIS and SQL so I can run ASP.NET webpages?

Thanks!

Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:18 PM

Answers

• Question 1: No problem at all. this is one of the basic elements of WHS. You use the Dashboard to set up your Users, the folders and their respective permissions.

Question 2: Not ideal as a web hosting platform as it has its own remote access Web page built in to allow remote administration, media streaming and file/folder access. It can be done but you would be much better with a different OS if that's your main requirement.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:24 PM