New Computer Won't Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I added a new computer to my WHS network. I used PCMover to transfer programs and settings from an old computer that had been on the network to the new the new computer. The old computer was removed from the network. The backup service will not run on the new computer. The VSC service is set to manual and I have uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Home Server Connector and have manually deleted the WHS registry keys.

I assume that the PCMover software has done something to prevent the backup from running. Any suggestions or is it something else? WHS gave error code 270, reason 5.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    reason 5 points to VSS issues on the client. Can you check the event log on the client for more details?
    Is there enough free disk space on the client partitions?
    Did you run chkdsk /r on the new client against the volume, on which backup fails?
    Which operating system are you running there? If Windows 7, would excluding the 100 MB partition from backup fix the issue?
    Sometimes also 3rd party applications or their remains in the registry after uninstall (or in your case after moving settings?) like Norton Ghost may cause VSS to fail.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:38 AM