How to sync Favorites folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have several laptops that I use for work and for personal use.  I used to use Live Mesh and I found it to be wonderful.  About a month or two ago, something happened and Live Mesh failed to start on my main PC (work PC).  I posted this problem and was instructed to uninstall and reinstall.  I have done this.  At the same time, I have a small netbook that I was also running Live Mesh on.  That whole PC had to be reloaded due to various OS problems.  I just installed Live Mesh on that machine today. 

I noticed that my Favorites are not synching.  First let me explain 2 things:

1.  I have my favorites stored in C:\Data\Favorites  (it's easy to relocate this file in Windows Vista and Windows 7)

2.  I had all of this working before in the past, but since both machines had problems I've had to reload and now I can't figure out how to get this working

The problem that I have now is that when I add a favorite to a folder on one PC, it doesn't get updated on the other.  For example, in my Favorites I have a subfolder called AutoCAD.  I added a website to this subfolder and it hasn't propagated to my other PC.  I added the favorite using my work PC (Windows Vista Business 32-bit) and my netbook is running Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit).  It also has problems going the other way as well, where I've deleted a favorite on the netbook and it hasn't propagated to the work PC.

I am logged on to both PC's at the same time and I'm using the same Windows Live ID on both (obviously).  ON the work PC I can see in the news section that the favorite was deleted by the netbook PC, but when I click on favorites in IE, it is still there.  Also, on the netbook PC, I now have a placeholder in the AutoCAD favorites subfolder, but it's been hours and I can't imagine that it should take this long to update a smaller than 50k file.

Am I missing something here?  Please help.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:04 AM

Answers

• Is this problem still happening? Sometimes it can take a while for the sync to complete.

When you reinstalled Live Mesh on the machine, did you also remove the machine from your Mesh at www.mesh.com ?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:36 PM

All replies

• Is this problem still happening? Sometimes it can take a while for the sync to complete.

When you reinstalled Live Mesh on the machine, did you also remove the machine from your Mesh at www.mesh.com ?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Steve,

Yes, I think you're right, it was just taking an incredibly long time to sync.  I didn't see it because it was still synching a large amount of data.  When I reinstalled, I did remove the machine from the mesh, but it was afterwards.  I thought it was strange that it had the same name.  I was trying to figure out how to just install the software and tell it to use the same device on the mesh page. 

Anyways, I discovered a way bigger problem for me.  When live mesh failed on my main work PC, I kept getting an error message saying that live mesh failed to start.  This happened for a long time and I finally posted a message on this forum about it.  I was told that nobody knows why it was happening, but that I should just uninstall and reinstall mesh.  I finally did that last week.  Ok, here's where the big problem comes in.

I have over 5GB of stuff being synched.  One by one, all of my PC's that were connected to live mesh have died or the software has failed.  One PC has some unknown problem, but Vista won't even boot on that PC so it's as good as dead now.  My main PC had the problem of live mesh failing to start, and my netbook was so flaky I just decided to flaten it.  Some of my stuff is up in the cloud in my 5GB of space.  The rest of the stuff (I have no idea how many MB/GB since I can't find a way to tell) is only synched in a peer to peer way between my PC's.  I don't know which files are in the cloud vs. peer to peer.

When I reinstalled live mesh onto my work PC, I had to reassociate the folders that I was synching.  It let me know that there were some conflicts.  I went through and selected the most recent versions that it was showing me, but didn't realize that these were not the most recent versions of these files.  For some strange reason, live mesh overwrote NEWER information with older information.  I just realized this 15 minutes ago when I tried to open a file and it told me that it was in an older version (I upgraded the software in the time since live mesh stopped working and when I reinstalled live mesh).  I looked around for the new version of the files, thinking that they might be in my recycle bin, but they are not.

I am TOTALLY screwed now.  For some files (I don't even know how many), it has reverted me back to the November versions.  That's nearly 4 months of lost data.  I'm hoping that you can help me figure out why this happened and if you know of where the recent versions of my files might be.

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:49 PM
  • If the files were seen as newer to Live Mesh, they were newer. Not newer to you, but newer based on timestamps. Based on your description of the issues you've faced - sorry about that. :-(  - it is hard to determine what might have happened.

If you don't see the files in the Recycle Bin, then you may want to check the GACBASE\HoldingArea folder to see if they are there. This folder is located in the \Users\%userID%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\ folder on my Windows 7 machine. On XP I think it is in the hidden Local Settings folder.

I'll add that any data you entrust to Live Mesh should be backed up to a location outside of the Mesh as it is and has been a beta service.

One last thought. if any of the running machines that had the newer file overwritten to it is running Vista Business or Ultimate, or Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate, or Enterprise you can right click the file and select Previous versions if that is enabled in the OS.

-steve

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:34 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for your help.  I got rid of my travel computer and got a new one.  I slowly added some of the folders and only synchronized the data that I wanted to have on this computer.  Well I'm in the middle of a 2 week family vacation and I still needed to do some work.  So I added more of the folders on this computer.  I made sure that I had the files that I needed and everything seemed ok.  I spent about 8 hours over 2 different days working on a few important files.  Tonight I went back in and wanted to do more work and just noticed that all of my edits are gone!  This is now at least the second time where I made a lot of changes and they have gone missing even though I was saving like crazy and very often.  The information in your last post was able to help me recover my most recent edits but now I'm really scared.

First let me say that for some reason, LiveMesh is certainly got a problem for me with saving the right version of the file and this is got to be one of the most basic things it needs to do.  I don't know what kind of algorithm it's using but somehow it's gone kooky for me.  Let me say that I do have more than 5GB of stuff and I currently have 3 computers that synchronize with this data.  I don't know how LiveMesh determines which items are synchronized to my Live Desktop vs. only synchronized with the other computers via the peer to peer, but I suspect that this has somethign to do with it.  Since I'm away on vacation, I don't have any of the other computers turned on so they can update.  For some strange reason, the current version of my files (which are on this laptop) are getting overwritten by files that are many days older.  Do you have any suggestions?

In the directory that you mention in your above post, there are a lot of files (107).  I'm scared.  Are those all files that have been updated and now I have older versions that are replacing them in the correct directories?  By the way, I found my current (correct) versions deep in the directory structure that you described and NOT in the recycle bin.  I thought all the files that get replaced are supposed to be put in the recycle bin??

Please help!  Thanks.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 2:20 AM
  • The deleted fiels go to the Recycle Bin. Conflicts go to the folder you found them in. Something is causing Live Mesh to think that the file is being updated in more than one place, hence the conflicts.

At this point, though, be sure to have a look at this thread - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d3fc17c7-eb28-4aa6-b82b-5b7fda961238

Live Mesh is becoming Live Sync. It is part of the Windows Live Essentials Wave 4 Beta, recently released for testing. There is no upgrade path from the old Live Mesh beta, it will require configuring sync relationships all over again. Hopefully, though, the way the new versions handles conflicts works better for you.

-steve

Monday, July 19, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks again for your reply.  I'm back from my vacation and my temporarily solution to this crippling problem was to just copy the files to my desktop and modify those copies since the stupid program kept trying to overwrite a newer version of a file with and older version.  Any simple comparison at all should have caught this.  I don't have any idea what was triggering it to think otherwise.  The only thing that I can think of was maybe those files were part of the files that were up in the cloud (a part of the 5GB).  Since I have probably 10 or 20GB of stuff in my LM folders, I have no idea how it selects which ones gfet stored in my 5GB online desktop vs. which ones are peer to peer only.

Unfortunately, I've found many other problems recently with LM which is also making it hard for me.  Sometimes I update files and LM doesn't recognize that they have changed.  I don't know how long it should take before it updates, but with 2 synching computers on it should have ahppened relatively quickly since this is what happens when it is working correctly.  If I exit LM and restart it, then it eventually figures out that there has been a change to the files and it responds accordingly.  It would have been helpful to have a menu item that forced it to do a synch or something.

I've read the link you sent about LS as a part of WLE and it sounds like most LM users are unsatisfied.  I've yet to try it since it uninstalls LM and I don't have a spare computer to try it on by itself right now.  Losing 60% of the cloud storage space is really a big negative.  I'd be willing to pay a decent amount for the 25GB that they give away for free with Skydrive. 

Microsoft is so busy trying to develop 10,000 products, I wish they could just focus themselves a bit and improve the ones that they've already placed in the wild.  It always sucks when a company puts something out there as beta, lets it develop a following, neglect it woefully, and then gets ride of it when it' like 95% of the way there.

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:44 AM
  • You're welcome and I trust that you had a good vacation.

I don't know why older versions are/were being overwritten in your Mesh - that should not happen. Basically, if a file changes in more than one place, it causes a conflict which you would need to resolve manually as there are no rules to configure. There have always been reports of delays in getting files to sync, though. Sometimes it is instant and others it is quite delayed. Needing to restart the client to sync has also been reported.

When you get a chance, do check out the new version of Sync, I think that you will like it. I suspect that cloud storage will be increased eventually, too. That was the case with Hotmail storage and also Skydrive itself. Once they see adoption patterns coupled with actual usuage, they can begin to map out storage allocation and make sure that the experience is good for all. Since it is a free service, we can't expect them to suddenly be able to provide unlimited cloud storage for all users of Live Sync. The 5 gig limit in Live Mesh was workable since the availability of the beta was controlled at first and it is indeed a beta, so if the environment collapsed, people would be upset, but as a beta there is always risk. I suspect that there are many more production users of Live Sync. Allocating real storage space for even a percentage of Live Sync users on SkyDrive for Sync would be fairly costly.

-steve

Friday, August 20, 2010 11:08 AM
  • Sometimes I can't even restart the client.  I gave up after trying to exit LM for over 10 minutes.  This is fairly consistant.  What really sucks is that now that LM is on it's way out, we have to move to yet another beta product.  I'm getting tired of moving from beta to beta to get critically needed features.  I mean, as we all start having more and more PC's, how can we make sure that we have the data we need on multiple machines unless we have some kind of synchronization tool like this. 

If anyone knows of a product that wil work similarly to LM that is a paid service and not some company hiding behind the word "beta" I'd like to hear about it.  I can't use any product that forces you to create a new drive or that alters my existing file structure and heirarchy.  Thanks.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Live Sync is currently a beta, but it will be released. We don't know when, but assumptions are that it might be as early as the start of Fall. A beta refresh was just released, so it wouldn't be impossible to see a release in October. In any event, many people have reported DropBox to be a good paid service. I've not used it, so I can't tell you if it meets your criteria.

-steve

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Thanks again.  Dropbox won't work, nor will any program that requires me to change my file structure.  Dropbox requires you to place anything that you want synchronized into a special folder.  I want to maintain my existing structure, which looks like this:

C:\Data\Documents

C:\Data\Sheets

C:\Data\PDF

etc....

I'm seriously considering sugarsync.  It looks like it's a paid version of what LM was.  You can get it in different capacities and pay monthly.  The only hangup right now is their support.  I've read a number of complaints that their support sucks and I'm already experiencing that first hand.  I had a simple list of questions that I submitted and got the automated message back that I will have an answer in 24 hours.  It's been more than a week and I've submitted 2 more of the same requests, including sending back to them their e-mail with the 24 hour committment.  If they can't do a good job of answering questions from potential customers, I can only imagine how they will treat me when they are already getting my money.

Back to my current problems....I am now finding certain files that will not sync between my computers.  This is a HUGE problem for me since I won't know which PC has the most up to date file when I decide to leave LM and go with something else, weather it be LC (now renamed AGAIN to be LM again), sugarsync, or something else.  I have over 10,000 files in probably 250 directories and it will take me years to figure out which is the latest if I have to do it manually.

This morning I found a file that was older in my synched folders.  I had a more recent version on the desktop of one of my PC's so I copied it into it's normal location (and overwrote the old version).  I waited to see if it would update across to my other PC and it didn't.  I restarted both PC's and waited.  After over an hour, it still didn't update.  I looked at the file's properties to see what might be causing the problem.  The security info was the same, the only thing that I could think of was related to the accessed date.  The file had the same created date 3/30/2010 3:02:35PM.  The modified date was different of course on both and the accessed date being different, but the accessed date on the old file was the same date and time as the modified date on the new one.  I don't see how that would be possible for me to last access the file on the old machine at the exact same moment in time as it was being saved on the other PC.  Obviously this is a bug of some kind somewhere.  I thought that maybe this was somehow confusing LM, but really it shouldn't since it should be looking at the modified date.  Anyways, I decided to resave the file on the PC that had the newer version, which shoul dgive it an even newer modified date and should force it to synch.  LM recognized that the file was changed and I saw in the news section that the files was updated and I saw the icon pulsing to indicate that something was happening.  I looked on the other PC (which had the older file) and in the news section it also showed that the file was updated.  I then looked at the file in Windows Explorer, but it still hadn't changed.  Again I waited.  NOTHING.  I rebooted the PC with the old version again.  Nothing.  I deleted the file on the PC with the newer file.  Again, the news section of both machines showed the file as being deleted, but it never got deleted from the PC with the older version.  I finally deleted it on the PC with the older file and then copied it back into the proper location on the PC wiht the newer file and it finally updated to the other PC.

Have you seen this before?  THis is such a basic premise of file synchronization and to have it fail on such a simple task is troubling.  DO you have any idea what could be causing this?  At this point I'v ereally lost faith in this application because I can't be worried if I am using the most current version or not each time I try to use one of my files.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Ok, I just spent all day looking at one particular directory on my machines.  This directory is actually only only synchronized between 2 laptops and the Live Desktop.  Well, actually I don't know how much of it is synchronized with the desktop since I am well over the 5GB limit and it doesn't show me which files are just peer to peer vs. also being up on the Live Desktop.

I went through and opened up the conflicts folder on both machines and started looking at the files.  Part of the problem might be that some of the files were created when I lived in Japan.  It's not like I have a Japanese version of Windows or anything, it's all US versions, it's just that my computer was set to JST when I lived over there and then when I moved back to Hawaii I changed it back to HST.  Some of the files that were in the conflicts folder were the same with the exception of there being a different in the date/time that exactly matched the time difference.  I think that really sucks if Microsoft can't figure out a way to handle that kind of change better. 

Anyways, for a bunch of the files I was able to determine that the time zone difference was the only difference and I deleted all of those files from the conflicts folder.  I was left with 60 or so files that I couldn't make that quick of a determination on.  I finally got to the point where I only had a handful of files that needed special attention.  Some of the files that were in the conflicts folder were newer.  I copied those back over the file in the original location, deleted the file in the conflict folder and deleted any reference to that file on the other laptop.  This worked most of the time.  Sometimes I needed to delete the file completely from everywhere (except a copy that I kept on the desktop which is not synchronized).  Sometimes that also didn't work and I had to resave the file to give it a super current date/time stamp.  Finally I had 1 file that none of this would work for.  I had to finally do all of the above steps and then even give it a different name.  It would finally synchronize between the 2 laptops.  I made sure to empty the recycle bin so that there were no other files anywhere on the PC that I could find with the same name.  Once I did this I tried to rename the file to the original name and then I went back to having a problem.  The file again showed up in the conflicts folder.  That drove me crazy since I worked on that single file for probably more than 30 minutes.  I finally had to give up.  LM will not work with that file.  For some reason it hates that filename and even thought it used to synchronize just fine.  The file name is Equipment and Vendor list.xls just so nobody thinks that I named the file the same as some system reserved name or something.

Is there some kind of log file somewhere that I can look at to see what the heck LM is doing?  This is just really crazy.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Have you seen this before?  THis is such a basic premise of file synchronization and to have it fail on such a simple task is troubling.  DO you have any idea what could be causing this?  At this point I'v ereally lost faith in this application because I can't be worried if I am using the most current version or not each time I try to use one of my files.

Yes, I've seen this behavior and can't explain it. I have not seen it in the new Live Sync beta (soon to be renamed to Live Mesh), though, so it has to be a bug in the current version/environment.

-steve

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Unfortunately, conflict resolution in the current version of Live Mesh is ugly and the log data isn't very helpful. The entire area of conflict resolution was high on the agenda for being fixed and I believe that the new Live Sync will handle it much better.

-steve

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:31 PM